Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Soaps and Celluloid? Cases

Article about: I recently picked these up and have been wondering about what exactly they are. I've only been able to find another one on Worthpoint, but it really didn't give any useful information. Any h

Default Soaps and Celluloid? Cases

I recently picked these up and have been wondering about what exactly they are. I've only been able to find another one on Worthpoint, but it really didn't give any useful information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Soaps and Celluloid? CasesSoaps and Celluloid? CasesSoaps and Celluloid? CasesSoaps and Celluloid? Cases

All I can say is that it is Hosei brand soap.

硬水用
    Kōsui-yō For hard-water Use

ホーセイ
    Hosei

石鹸
    Sekken / soap

-- Guy

I couldn’t find anything about the brand either, but judging from the right-to-left direction of the writing, it is at least pre-war. Unfortunately, I have no information as to whether there was such a thing as soap specifically made for the military but daily sundry items were available for purchase at the unit’s canteen so it is possible that soldiers just purchased commercial brand soap for their use at the canteen.
    Celluloid was widely used in Japan until the early 60s not just for soap boxes but also for things like pencil cases and toys. I believe the use of celluloid at least for things like toys is now banned because of its high flammability.