Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Surrender Tag

Article about: Got the guys name from NMB, but no one knows what that top character is. One guy speculated he actually attempted to draw his house. Any chance it is a rank or a civilian employee rank?

The seller sent this. Definitely another, faded, kanji above it. I've played around with it to enhance. Not sure it matches what you've indicated above although there may be 3 strokes at the top (2 are obvious, but there could be a third to the right side of them).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Surrender Tag   Surrender Tag  

Surrender Tag  

I can't make heads or tails out of it, and am not certain it is writing. Why would it be almost invisible since it was covered; the exposed kanji are bold and easy to read.

-- Guy

I have to concur with Guy, a character hidden in the folds should, if anything, be clearer than the characters exposed for ages.
    It looks like my hypothesis was wrong, although I still believe it is the most rational one.

?

It could be that 軍属 was abbreviated by dropping the 軍? The Japanese military abbreviated just about everything, a form of shorthand for military use.

Personally, I think it is unlikely, but I cannot completely rule out such possibilities as I am not familiar with abbreviations used in the Imperial Japanese Army.

Ok, thanks guys! I'll keep looking.

Guys,
    After adding another Kanezane gunto to the Brown Tassel Survey chart, I realized that I now have THREE Kanezane gunto with brown tassels that ALSO have the sakura, Gunzoku tsuba! That clearly shows that Gunzoku personnel were carrying/using the all-brown tassel. While it doesn't prove that active duty Army officers weren't using it as the proverbial "late-war tassel", it's at least confirmation that the Gunzoku were using it.

Guy,
    Were your instructions for adding auto-numbering to the chart - for a spreadsheet? Because I'm using Word for the chart, and I don't see a way to add auto-numbering. I've simply run the numbers manually. But that causes me serious problems when I need to add a sword into the middle of the chart.

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Guy,
    Were your instructions for adding auto-numbering to the chart - for a spreadsheet? Because I'm using Word for the chart, and I don't see a way to add auto-numbering. I've simply run the numbers manually. But that causes me serious problems when I need to add a sword into the middle of the chart.
    Yes, for Microsoft Excell. You could copy this into Excell .....

-- Guy

PHP Code:
    Guys,
    After adding another Kanezane gunto to the Brown Tassel Survey chartI realized that I now have THREE Kanezane gunto with brown tassels that ALSO have the sakuraGunzoku tsubaThat clearly shows that Gunzoku personnel were carrying/using the all-brown tassel. While it doesn't prove that active duty Army officers weren't using it as the proverbial "late-war tassel"it's at least confirmation that the Gunzoku were using it. 
    I am somewhat confused by this statement as it appears as if lower level Gunzoku wearing all brown tassels was ever questioned despite my brother's thread identifying the relevant regulations: What were the regulations for the Army civilian employees to carry swords?
    As for the possible use of all brown tassels late in the war, I doubt such could have happened for 2 reasons: first, sword tassels were part of the Army Uniform regulations established by Imperial Edict so deviating from such would have also required an Imperial Edict relaxing such and Nick would have doubtlessly uncovered such, and second, because that was contrary to the direction the Army was headed late in the war.
    The Army was facing a such a serious breakdown in discipline that it had to amend the uniform regulations to show who was in authority with the introduction of the Type 3 uniform with larger flashier rank insignia and cuff ranking as well as the introduction of the commander badges (while the Navy was heading to the more economically sensitive option of reducing the size of the collar rank insignia of officers to reduce the consumption of metallic thread). An all brown sword tassel would be counter to such.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast