Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Suspiciously clean sword

Article about: So the estimate for this seems on the low side (£350-450GBP) and the condition, particularly the scabbard seem very good. What do people make of it? There are two other sword which I have b

Default Suspiciously clean sword

So the estimate for this seems on the low side (£350-450GBP) and the condition, particularly the scabbard seem very good. What do people make of it? There are two other sword which I have been told to post in separate threads. I'm not a collector of Japanese swords but I expect they're much more expensive than this. Is it a repro?

Suspiciously clean swordSuspiciously clean swordSuspiciously clean swordSuspiciously clean swordSuspiciously clean swordSuspiciously clean sword

Auction lot link

?

Scabbard could be repainted or might just be in good condition (they usually had leather combat covers to protect them), hard to say from these pictures. I think most sword enthusiasts would want some better pictures of the blade and tang before bidding. I don't see any real red flags, the fittings look OK but the blade could be something nice or just run of the mill.

Quote by Ryoyo View Post
    Scabbard could be repainted or might just be in good condition (they usually had leather combat covers to protect them), hard to say from these pictures. I think most sword enthusiasts would want some better pictures of the blade and tang before bidding. I don't see any real red flags, the fittings look OK but the blade could be something nice or just run of the mill.
    My suspicion is that this is a Chinese-made sword.

I'd like to see a better photo of the blade, especially the kissaki. From the angle, it's hard to tell ... but to me it looks like an NCO blade -- the bouhi extends practically to the ko-kissaki.

Bruce? Bruce? Calling Mr. Bruce Pennington .... opinion requested.
    -- Guy

?

No obvious tells on this one. I would say it's legit, and with an factory made arsenal blade as opposed to a traditional.
    村田刀 Murata-tō

I have found that auction houses respond quickly to requests for specific photos. I'd write to them, if you're interested, and ask for photos of the nakago. I agree the saya is quite new looking but from the pics, seems legit, so maybe Ryoyo's point would explain it.

My gut feel is with Dave - it's one of those blades made by the Type 95 factories, but ordered by an officer, because of the sword shortage. I've seen a few of them showing up lately.

This sword went for £600 with another 22%+VAT for the auctioneers cut.

That's, what, roughly $800 USD? the whole market is coming down.