Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Translation of dog tag, reserve ifantry regiment ?

Article about: Hello everyone, I Need help for the translation of this dog tag (first one I have), I've read the excellent thread of Nick Komiya : https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/japan...komiya-691796/ I've

Default Translation of dog tag, reserve ifantry regiment ?

Hello everyone,

I Need help for the translation of this dog tag (first one I have), I've read the excellent thread of Nick Komiya :

The Evolution of Japanese Army Dog Tags (1894-1945)

I've read it before buying it so as for authenticity purpose i'm sure it's a good one (well at least from what i've learned ) but for the translation yeah ... i'm still a bit lost ...

Here the info that I can provide from this thread

The kanji for Infantry would be 歩
    The kanji for Company is 中

But i have seen that both kanji's 後歩 mean infantry reserve regiment ? Not sure if I read them well on this dog tag but they seem to be present ?

Translation of dog tag, reserve ifantry regiment ?Translation of dog tag, reserve ifantry regiment ?

The full designation of the tag's unit is 近衛後備歩兵第2連隊、第8中隊. Imperial Guards 2nd Reserve Regiment, 8th Company. Reserve Regiments were the early form of replacement unit that existed around the time of the Russo-Japanese War. These units had their own banner with a red fringe instead of purple. The only questionable aspect on his tag for me is the 号, instead of 番 above the personal number, which is unusual.

Thanks as always, Nick !

I was trying some research and i found a similar one on a Japanese auction website, sadly can't access it as european or british as the website precise ... so i post the picture below ...

ヤフオク! - 旧日本軍 認識票 明治期 近衛後備歩兵第2連隊第...

I try to find more info about this regiment I found this but not sure that's the correct one
    近衛歩兵第2連隊 - Wikipedia

"The only questionable aspect on his tag for me is the 号, instead of 番 above the personal number, which is unusual".

Do you have any clue what it could mean ? Always egger to learn more

Translation of dog tag, reserve ifantry regiment ?

Quote by Bagration View Post
    Thanks as always, Nick !

I was trying some research and i found a similar one on a Japanese auction website, sadly can't access it as european or british as the website precise ... so i post the picture below ...

ヤフオク! - 旧日本軍 認識票 明治期 近衛後備歩兵第2連隊第...

I try to find more info about this regiment I found this but not sure that's the correct one
    近衛歩兵第2連隊 - Wikipedia

"The only questionable aspect on his tag for me is the 号, instead of 番 above the personal number, which is unusual".

Do you have any clue what it could mean ? Always egger to learn more
    In Japanese the format for numbered items would be:
    番6号
    Ban 6 gō

or
    第6番
    Dai 6 ban
    using 第 as a prefix for ordinals

or 番 6
    Ban 6

but not
    号 6
    Gō 6

Nick has written more on the subject of ordinals and numbering -- but that was some response years ago and I can't remember. Nick is very erudite in his English translations/explanations ... he ought to be a professor of graduate-level English or Translation/Interpretation!

-- Guy

Such slight deviations from regulations can also be well-intended giveaways not to pass off replicas as originals.

Thanks for the detail GHP, I appreciate ! I plan to learn Japanese so it's always good to save such details.

Nick Komiya ==> Do you think it's a fake then ?

I am not able to say with any confidence that it's good, sorry.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    I am not able to say with any confidence that it's good, sorry.
    Oh damn ... I was sure it was good from the material, the stamp, ... but one kanji can make all the difference that's why I always search more info and will definitely learn Japanese.

Thanks anyaway for your time and help Nick and GHP as usual !