Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Translation help please for marking on top side of military ammo of tool box?

Article about: Type 90.... would love to see what the rest of the writing reveals. Thanks for any help that can be provided

Default Translation help please for marking on top side of military ammo of tool box?

Type 90.... would love to see what the rest of the writing reveals. Thanks for any help that can be providedTranslation help please for marking on top side of military ammo of tool box?

It's a "Model 2 Tool Box for a Type 90 Explosive X". I don't know what X is, which is the 6th kanji from top. It is neither 光 nor 火, which are the closest kanjis existing in Japanese, but the character used there simply does not exist in Japanese.

Normally there should be a printed contents list on the underside of the lid, where normal characters (non-stenciled) are used. Having a photo of that should help.

Finally figured it out. The X is simplified form of 尖, an explosive detonator for a torpedo.

Awesome! I am a little surprised its not painted gray instead of green (which I normally see on mostly IJA boxes)?

The Type 90 Detonator was inertia-triggered and was positioned in location (B) in the drawing below.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Translation help please for marking on top side of military ammo of tool box?