Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Two Hinomaru no Yosegaki From The Same Family? Artifacts

Article about: Hello: Along with the two Hinomaru no Yosegaki that I posted this week that Guy provided translations of the name of the owners, a group of artifacts came with. Any feedback on these would b

?

Default Two Hinomaru no Yosegaki From The Same Family? Artifacts

Hello: Along with the two Hinomaru no Yosegaki that I posted this week that Guy provided translations of the name of the owners, a group of artifacts came with. Any feedback on these would be appreciated. Especially if they likely go with the flags. I recall seeing some posts from Nick about some of these type of items. I hope that I have the orientation of the items in the correct position.

Two Hinomaru no Yosegaki From The Same Family?  Artifacts

?

Default Some More Artifacts

Additional images of the artifacts that came with the two Hinomaru no Yosegaki. I rotated the first two items 180 degrees in case I had the orientation wrong. Also, there are some documents in the long envelopes that I did not create images of.

In regards to the cancelled postage stamp, is that the Showa date of July 16, 1939?

MAP
    ?

Nice items.

This thread should help.

Comfort Bag
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Two names on two bags .... two names on a wooden tag (obverse and reverse).....

長岡市袋町一丁目
    Nagaoka-shi, Fukuromachi 1-chome [Niigata Prefecture]

小林国雄行キ
    Kobayashi Kunio iki
    To Kobayashi Kunio

小林政夫出ス
    Kobayashi Masao dasu
    Sent by Kobayashi Masao

Reservist guntai-techo to 小林国雄 Kobayashi Kunio [國雄]

Letter envelopes to
    小林国雄 Kobayashi Kunio (x2)
    小林虎夫 Kobayashi Torao

Envelope with outlined kanji:
    寫眞 [写真] Photos

兵役書類在中
    小林國雄
    Military Service Documents enclosed
    -- Guy

?

Thanks Guy for all these translations. I see the same name, Kobayashi Masao, from the two Hinomaru no Yosegaki that I posted the other day in at least one of the items that you translated. And you translated Kobayashi in several of the other items.

I need to learn more about what each item was used for. Time for me to do some research. I'll start with some of the stickys on this forum.

Sorry, been tied to a hospital bed without internet access for the past 8 days.
    This will go on for another week, so I'll make it short. Those bags as you must have read in the comfort bag thread are for vets in reservist status. The two envelopes lying next to each other are for last testament and will in case they fell in service. Two names from the same family may mean brothers or father and son. One of them having two Yosegaki flags is nothing special, as they are given from each social circle one belonged in. For instance the neighborhood. the school class, and the baseball team may all do a yosegaki for him, depending on his popularity among his peers. All the papers relate to their status as vets and not to active service.

I was missing your comments, Nick, and thought you might be in hospital. Hope you get better sooner than expected.

-- Guy

?

Thank you Nick. And hoping that you recover, and quickly. As to the artifacts, are they unusual to have survived the war or are they commonly found? Especially when associated with a specific Hinomaru no Yosegaki, if matching names indicate the same owners.

Am I correct that the postmark date on the stamp is 7/16/1939?

It would be interesting to learn about how the Japanese military reserve was organized, especially during the time of the 1930's through 1945.

Yes, you read the post mark date correctly. I have explained the various levels of reserve status already in other posts, so I won't repeat myself here. Basically until you were 45 years old you were in some kind of reserve status. The documents are not for someone in active service, so they are common, but wills being highly private are rarely sold off, by those that survived the war.

This is what I wrote about that reserve status. Assistance with IJN Tunic Label Translation