Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two Japanese flags

Article about: Hello, gentlemen. Please help with information on these flags.

Default Two Japanese flags

Hello, gentlemen. Please help with information on these flags.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two Japanese flags   Two Japanese flags  

Two Japanese flags   Two Japanese flags  

Two Japanese flags  

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two Japanese flags   Two Japanese flags  

Both are interesting originals. The stamp featured in the first flag is of a musician by the name of Homare Watanuki. Beside his name it says "Exclusively contracted to King Records, Pipe Harmonica". He was involved in several pop tunes from the 1930s, playing the guitar as well as writing lyrics. He appears to be most famous、though, as the inventor of the "Watanuki Band Pipe Harmonica", shown below in a box featuring his portrait. The flag was presented to Kohshichi Ohtani, who joined the army. He could have been an employee of King Records, still now a major brand, but that can only be confirmed by matching the names of the signers to a roster of musicians, etc from that record company.

The second flag was presented to Kazuo Amano by the Tsurumi Steel Mill and Shipyard Co. in Yokohama, a name used by that company only between 1936 and 1940, after which they changed names after a merger. The flag can actually be dated sometime after 1937 as graduating members of the class of 1937 from a Junior High School in Yamanashi Prefecture added their dedications.

Got more on Watanuki. Born in Shanghai and was actually a graduate of USC (University of Southern California), invented the pipe harmonica in 1935, popularized the harmonica in Japan through radio and records, also active in postwar years with instructing music teachers of elementary and junior high schools. Died 27th April 1989.

Now I know who to blame for all the harmonica playing I had to do in elementary school, which I hated so much.

Two Japanese flags  

Thank you very much, Nick! You gave me a lot more information than I could have expected! Sincerely, Tim

Thank you for the addition! I'm also looking for information about Watanuki, but I can't find it. But Your help always helps me in further searches and makes these searches interesting!
    "Exclusively contracted to King Records, Pipe Harmonica"
    Please tell me, is this text contained within the stamp?

The part in question is upside down in your photo, so I'll turn it around and zoom in on the inscription for you. The part I show as a red box says
    キングレコード専属
    パイプハーモニカ
    綿貫誉

His family name, Watanuki is written in such a stylized autograph form impossible to read without the stamp repeating it in clear text. Unless you are looking up USC's graduates, it would not help doing any Google searches other than in kanji form of 綿貫誉. He had a band in Odawara City, according to a former band member's memoir ????????

Here's a harmonica text book he published 単音ハーモニカ奏法/綿貫誉著 | rmkalimba

Here's a career profile of another member of his band (it was in Word format, so I will just cut and paste here in original form)
    雨宮伊之助プロフィール・主要作品等

1925年(大正14年)横浜市にて出生
    1932年(昭和 7年)
    小田原町幸一丁目二五四番地(現 小田原市本町1-9-43)に転入。小田原町立第二尋常小学校(旧城内小 学校)入学
     1936年(昭和11年)綿貫誉に師事
     1941年(昭和16年)
    綿貫誉主宰「小田原リード軽音楽団」(後の綿貫ハーモニカ楽団)に加入。このころ楽団は毎月ラジオ放送に出 演。
     1946年(昭和21年)
    第1回市民音楽コンクール(綿貫楽団主催)で伴奏を受け持つ。このとき歌唱1位入賞の志澤正躬(小田原市図 書館職員)と出会う。
     1948年(昭和23年)
    第1回全国ハーモニカ独奏コンクール決勝大会一般の部で優勝。
     1951年(昭和26年)
    小田原市図書館「こども緑陰図書館」に子供会役員として参加。翌昭和27年『こども緑陰図書館の歌』を作曲 (作詞 石井富之助)。
     1952年(昭和27年)図書館レコード・コンサート(1947年~1959年)の解説を担 当する。
     1953年(昭和28年)
    小田原市図書館カラースライド『小田原よいとこ』シリーズ作成開始(~1961年)。テーマ曲『小田原よい とこ』(作詞 志澤正躬)のほか、東宝映画監督廣澤榮編集『鰤』、松竹映画監督井上和男編集『ぼくらのなか ま』などの音楽を担当する。
     1954年(昭和29年)
    小田原市図書館巡回文庫和留沢訪問に同行する。『和留沢分校の歌』『ランプの歌』などを作曲。視聴覚教育の 功績により神奈川県教育委員会より表彰される。小田原図書館児童合奏団が結成され、その指導に 当たる。
    1955年(昭和30年)
     NHK職場の愛唱歌懸賞募集に『ぼくは下っぱサラリーマン』(作詞 渡辺一生)が入選し、立川澄人の歌に よりラジオでオンエアーされる。
    1956年(昭和31年)
     『雨宮伊之助歌曲集“まちの歌”』(雨宮伊之助と郷土の歌の会)刊行。
    1957年(昭和32年)
     (株)日本楽器入社。学校音楽指導講師として勤務し、全国各地で小田原での体験をもとに音楽指導を実践す る。
    1966年(昭和41年)
     詩と音楽の会“歌う樹の会”を光山樹太郎、川添猛たちと結成する。
    1972年(昭和47年)
     小田原市立児童文化館専門委員となる。
    1979年(昭和54年)
     『私の鍵盤学習論』(東京音楽図書(株))刊行。ヤマハ教販(株)に出向。
    1985年(昭和60年)
     ヤマハ教販(株)を定年退職する。
    1989年(平成元年)
     心筋梗塞により死去。享年63歳。

上記以外の作品
    『にひがた』(森道之輔詩)1953年(昭和28年)
    『蝶のゆくへ』(北村透谷詩)1954年(昭和29年)
    『はんもっく』(井上康文詩)1956年(昭和31年)
    『未来は遥か』(笹沢美明詞、磯部俶編曲)1958年(昭和33年)
    NHK合唱コンクール高校の部課題曲入選
     『小田原城天守閣賛歌』(鈴木貫介詠)1960年(昭和35年)
      ほか 校歌 社歌 地域の歌 など多数

人柄等
      「わたしは子供を愛する心で固まっている雨宮氏の姿をしばしば拝みたいような気におそわれた。ともすれ ば崩れようとするわたしをはげまし引きずって行ったのは雨宮氏であったと言っても過言ではなく、あらためて 敬意と感謝を表する」
      *石井富之助『こども緑陰図書館を終えて』(図書館月報・第27号)

「音楽に限らず総ての芸術が創造される原因には、何かに対して感動するということがなければならない でしょう。私は、その感動を、郷土小田原の風景や人間や仕事やその他色々のものから受取り、それを作品の力 として参りました。
    ・・仮にこの後よその土地に移り住む様な事があっても、やはり小田原の歌を歌い続けるでしょう。それほど私 には小田原の土のにおいが浸み込んでしまっています。或いは潮の匂いかも。
    ・・私の歌い出すもの、そのスタイルにかかわりなく総て小田原の歌です。「東京の歌」でも「新潟の歌」でも ありません。・・
    私は小田原の方言を私の作曲上の語法としたい。それ以上にふるさとの体臭を私の曲のものにしたい。それが念 願です。・・」
    *雨宮伊之助『雨宮伊之助歌曲集“まちの歌”』あとがき抜粋
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two Japanese flags  

Here is Watanuki giving American children an outdoors harmonica lesson at South Park, Los Angeles
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two Japanese flags  

Thank you very much, Nick! I don't know how to thank you! Just say thank you-too little for Your work and patience! Now all I have to do is go home and try to search on my own)

MAP
    ?

Amazing work Nick

Tim: Your next task is to find an original harmonica from him and learn how to play it. It is only fitting And I'm sure Nick would love to hear a recording of your mastery of this instrument as well
    Last edited by MAP; 03-05-2020 at 08:45 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)