Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Type 30 Bayonet

Article about: Hello everyone! I recently acquired a Type 30 bayonet, and though I think that I have more or less recognized all the markings regarding the item, I thought I might as well as ask everyone h

Default Type 30 Bayonet

Hello everyone!
    I recently acquired a Type 30 bayonet, and though I think that I have more or less recognized all the markings regarding the item, I thought I might as well as ask everyone here, in case I missed anything out.

From what I perceive, it's an early war (or pre-1941) bayonet, since it still has the rather articulate crossguard and pommel, though I am curious about whether it would be possible to identify the year from its serial number (No.3014648); Manufactured by Kokura Arsenal (though I don't know whether it could actually be Tokyo Arsenal, since they share identical markings).

I am curious about the two characters marked on the bottom of the pommel. One is 光, which I assume might be 光機精株式會社, while the other is somewhat indecipherable. I presume that these were two firms that checked the finished product, but am unsure.

Anyway, hopefully, someone might help me understand more about this item than from I already know. Thank you!

Type 30 Bayonet
    Type 30 Bayonet
    Type 30 Bayonet
    Type 30 Bayonet

?

Quote by Laconic View Post
    I am curious about the two characters marked on the bottom of the pommel. One is 光, which I assume might be 光機精株式會社, while the other is somewhat indecipherable. I presume that these were two firms that checked the finished product, but am unsure.
    Your bayonet was made by Tokyo Arsenal before 1932. In my opinion, I would date it to the 1920s. The two markings under the serial number are inspection marks and are thought to be based upon the names of the inspectors. In 1932, the Japanese Army standardized the markings by location.

Thank you! I'd like to ask for what reasons you would date it to the 1920s?
    Since Kokura and Tokyo Arsenal use the same logo, how do you distinguish which is which? My apologies, I'm always somewhat confused when trying to figure this out.

?

Kokura Arsenal used post 1932 inspection marks as they were established after 1932. The date is derived from the serial number, the highest being 3184091. There are several books that outline the overall picture if you are up to it.