Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Type 89 Binoculars by Suzuko

Article about: I have just obtained a pair of what, I hope, are Japanese military issue binoculars made by Suzuko. Searching through old threads, they appear to be Type 89's, 6 x 9.3. The hinge cap appears

Default Type 89 Binoculars by Suzuko

I have just obtained a pair of what, I hope, are Japanese military issue binoculars made by Suzuko. Searching through old threads, they appear to be Type 89's, 6 x 9.3.

The hinge cap appears to have an inspection mark of 東, tou of Tokyo. However the first and sixth strokes (top horizontal and the vertical) appear to be a little stylistic rather than the printed form.

What is the significance of "JES neji"? And is this only found on war-time production?

They are in good order, and seem to be very well made. The case is dated Showa 16, for 1941.

Cheers,
    Tony

Type 89 Binoculars by SuzukoType 89 Binoculars by SuzukoType 89 Binoculars by SuzukoType 89 Binoculars by SuzukoType 89 Binoculars by Suzuko
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 89 Binoculars by Suzuko   Type 89 Binoculars by Suzuko  

Type 89 Binoculars by Suzuko  

Yes, they're wartime. The JES is Japanese Engineering Standard.

The stamp is dated
    昭十九
    Shō 19 [1944]

-- Guy

Hi Guy,
    If you mean the stamp on the case, I am pretty sure it is a 6, just looked again.
    Cheers,
    Tony

Hi Tony,

I was on the fence whether it was a 六 or 九. I finally thought it was closer to 九; but having the item in hand makes for a better evaluation than just viewing the image.

— Guy

You know , sometimes looking at an expanded image just does not pay off. I just looked at the reduced image it clearly looks like a 六.

— Guy