Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Type 89 Mortar Round Opinion

Article about: Hoping to get opinions on a Type 89 mortar round. My apologies for the several questions. The main body of the round has the white ink "18.12" which I read as the date December, 19

?

Default Type 89 Mortar Round Opinion

Hoping to get opinions on a Type 89 mortar round. My apologies for the several questions.

The main body of the round has the white ink "18.12" which I read as the date December, 1943. There is also an engraved number and symbols (showa date?) on the body. And what appears to be an arsenal marking and a number and symbols (showa date again?) engraved on the fuze. Any feedback on what these markings on the body and fuze mean? From my limited knowledge of Type 89 mortar rounds I don't believe that they were serialized.

Should it be expected that a Type 89 mortar round could have different dates on the body and the fuze? I recall that the fuzes were packaged separately from the body of the round. Or does it mean that this round was assembled from parts, post war?

Does the pull cord look original or post war?

Also, in picture #3, there appears to be a metal piece attached to the bottom of the round with the base removed. It almost appears to have been soldered onto the body. Any thoughts on the purpose of this metal piece?

Thanks for any help!

Shell:
    昭十七4
    Sho[wa] 17, April

Fuze:
    昭十七12
    Sho[wa] 17, December

Other side:
    八八式
    Type 88

昭 (Sho) is an abbreviation for 昭和 (Showa). S.17 = 1942

-- Guy

?

Thank you Guy! Now trying to figure out what that metal piece is at the bottom.

Quote by Bobby View Post
    Thank you Guy! Now trying to figure out what that metal piece is at the bottom.
    Somebody turned your mortar into something it's not by grinding and drilling and soldering an internal striker inside the propellant housing. The drill hole even looks like it goes all the way into the HE charge (or at least where it would have been before being FFE'd).Type 89 Mortar Round Opinion I'm aware of the Japanese making booby traps and suicide devices out of mortars but this "damage" of yours looks way too recent
    I'd be interested to know the answer if you ever solve the riddle

Teck, Bobby,

It does not match any of the detail on boobytrap, suicide devices we have. That does not mean it isn't just it has not been previously recorded.

Better pictures including the inside are needed. If we can determine how it was intended to work then it's intended use should not be difficult.

R

?

Unfortunately I don't have the round in hand. Only the pictures that I posted.

It is not an electrical contact so can only be percussion, assuming the spring loaded arm can move to straight down it would probably have enough to function a percussion cap. That could ignite a fuze to a detonator but unlikely as that would be over complicating it a bit too far.

The only way I can see this working is with a pre-cocked striker held open with a tripwire designed to function on wire break.

Alternatively it is a post war addition for god only knows what reason!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    It is not an electrical contact so can only be percussion, assuming the spring loaded arm can move to straight down it would probably have enough to function a percussion cap. That could ignite a fuze to a detonator but unlikely as that would be over complicating it a bit too far.

The only way I can see this working is with a pre-cocked striker held open with a tripwire designed to function on wire break.

Alternatively it is a post war addition for god only knows what reason!
    I follow your train of thought but linear is easier to make in the field not to mention there are/were enough prefab switches to negate the necessity of this complexity. And...
    How are you thinking of getting the percussion cap in there , that isn't a whole lot of room in there and soldering things like lead styphnate and others doesn't place highly on my bucket list

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    I follow your train of thought but linear is easier to make in the field not to mention there are/were enough prefab switches to negate the necessity of this complexity. And...
    How are you thinking of getting the percussion cap in there , that isn't a whole lot of room in there and soldering things like lead styphnate and others doesn't place highly on my bucket list
    Fully agree mate, it goes in the 'until proven' pile. It makes no sense to me and I fear that any answer now is just making something fit the question as opposed to the real reason that some lunatic did whatever this is.

?

Thank you all for your feedback. Certainly subject to further investigation. My feeling remains that it was added post-war, for reasons unknown.