Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Type 90 IJA Helmet w/ Blue Name

Article about: Hi everyone! I just got this helmet from a collector over on Wehrmacht Awards and I decided to share it here! The star has rounded prongs and it has dark black sand stuck behind the liner fl

?

Could the X marking indicate failure to pass army inspection?
    Addendum to "The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet", Post #5

Yes the chinstrap is severed and tied together. It certainty feels like its been tied for a longtime but I suppose there's no way of telling.

Here's where you normally should find stampings. These positions were stipulated in the weapons marking regs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 90 IJA Helmet w/ Blue Name  

I looked again and I could not see a size stamp. Thank you for the photo, I'm definitely learning a lot

Could the X marking indicate failure to pass army inspection?
    I've never seen a rejection stamp before, but the size is right and certainly can be. In the case of helmets, the steel mill's stamp served as the army's acceptance stamp, so a failed product would get the X instead of the maker stamp. In other words, if the maker stamp is present, that would not be a rejection stamp.

Normally rejects would have been scrapped, though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 90 IJA Helmet w/ Blue Name  

As the X is in the exact position where the acceptance stamp should have been, I guess we need to conclude that the helmet never got any steel mill acceptance stamp, but was rejected and not paid for by the Army. Such a piece normally would be melted down or could have been used as a classroom sample at the manufacturer, which is consistent with the fact that the liner also is devoid of markings. Although it looks like a combat piece, it would never have left the factory and was possibly used as a factory air raid helmet after 1944.

It is a rare helmet in its own right, as this is the first rejection mark I've ever seen.

?

My experiences mirror those of Nick.
    The Mysterious "w" Stamp!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3