Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

type 90 japanese 2nd grade helmet

Article about: here is my japanese helmet

That hypothesis also crossed my mind, when I saw the numbers involved, but I immediately ruled it out as impossible, as IJA regulations set extremely long shelf lives for their gear in storage (even uniforms were supposed to be good for something like 45 years). Type 90 helmets issued in 1942 as class 2 would have only been a maximum of 4 years old, as the China Incident would have totally wiped out old inventory of Type 90s.

As I mentioned in my helmet thread, the only hypothetical scenario that makes sense to me is that they temporarily had to use lower grade steel in the manufacture of these weapons, due to lack of nickel, chromium or other such mineral component.

Either way, it remains only a hypothesis until proven by documented evidence.

A similar problem is currently being faced by the manufacturing industries worldwide, because of insufficient semiconductor supply. Some will shut down production while others may be forced to continue by using substandard replacements.

ok so in Addendum to "The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet" post #7 it says shiny rings would indicate pre 41. so even tho we can not read the date we know this helmet is post 41 because the rings are not chrome. is this correct? thank you.

Yes, that is correct.

By the way, 4210 pcs or 25% of that batch of helmets got issued to MPs at that time.
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 09-18-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3