Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Type 95 sword part

Article about: Hello all, I recently picked up this type 95 sword. The only part missing is the bolt/ nut to secure the tsuka to the blade. Does anybody where where one can be found? The tsuka won’t come

Default Type 95 sword part

Hello all,

I recently picked up this type 95 sword. The only part missing is the bolt/ nut to secure the tsuka to the blade. Does anybody where where one can be found? The tsuka won’t come off... I guess it’s just a visible thing. I guess eBay would be the most likely place but didn’t have any luck...

Also, was there only a few colors the saya’s were allowed to be? This one came with serial number matching chrome/nickel plated saya. If it was plated after the war... whoever did it did an excellent job! Ive never seen one plated before so I’m assuming it was after the war.

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 95 sword part  

?

I would like to see some additional pictures, particularity of the blade & scabbard serial numbers and inspection marks. Bruce will want to see the blade tip too. I associate that unpainted handle with some reproductions that came via China or it could just be an original handle that was stripped of its paint.

Here a few others I took...

The markings and stamping looked correct to me... there also appear to be a little yellow coloring on the chrysanthemum (Tsuka). Serial number on the blade looks worn... as the one on the saya throat.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Type 95 sword part   Type 95 sword part  

Type 95 sword part   Type 95 sword part  

The handle is still secured by the 2nd screw where the loop is. As for restoration, I'd leave the scabbard alone. It looks fine by the section where I can see. However, the chrome finish is not original.

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    I associate that unpainted handle with some reproductions that came via China or it could just be an original handle that was stripped of its paint.
    In this case, it's heavily worn, but original. The blade is worked over by polishing and sharpening, unprofessionally.

I agree.. it’s worn and a bit tampered with, the purchase price reflects all of it.

Thanks all for the comments... I was hoping not a fake. It came from an estate sale. The vet that brought it back passed.

?

The sword was made by a company commonly called Kōbe; however, the proper pronunciation is unknown. The serial number is 68893 and this was derived by comparing the blade and scabbard serial numbers. Based upon the style of fonts, I ruled out 69893. In addition, this serial number falls into a block of numbers known to have been used by Kōbe. The good news just gets better as it is an all matching sword! How about that.

The scabbard can be either nickeled or chromed and the difference between the two is chrome is bright and shiny while nickel is more matte and subdued. I hope I did not cause you too much consternation and the sword will make a good wall hanger to hand around so as to keep others away from the more traditional or mint examples. All the best to you and yours and happy new year!
    Last edited by Kiipu; 01-10-2022 at 01:36 AM.

Kiipu... thank you so much for the post... you only took 5 years off my life! Grin

Yes, it was very difficult to interpret the serial number on both, however... I came up with the same serial as you did.

I bought this sword as is and from the information Nick posted on type 95 swords. I felt it was an original... a little worn... but still an original. Then... you were thinking Chinese repro... and I was saying to myself,,, “ What an idiot I am!” Hahahah I’m glad of the outcome and the serial number checks out... I bought it just the way you see it and it will be a wall hanger in my gun room...

The best to you too in the new year! And ThankYou for the info on the nut/bolt...

Also, I believe the scabbard/saya is chrome... it does have a bit of a shine to it. A nice piece for the $$$$

D