Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown military item

Article about: Found this in a batch of 1930s items. Not sure what it is. Round, metal, made of 2 pieces soldered (?), liquid still inside. The inscription roughly reads, 'Warm up in water and remove the l

Default Unknown military item

Found this in a batch of 1930s items. Not sure what it is. Round, metal, made of 2 pieces soldered (?), liquid still inside. The inscription roughly reads, 'Warm up in water and remove the lid. Do not apply a direct heat.' I'm wondering if this is a wartime ration of sake? I've never seen anything like it before. Any help would be appreciated.Unknown military itemUnknown military itemUnknown military item

?

Could be a bed warmer, which was the practice during those times before household electricity and central heating.
    Last edited by Kiipu; 05-28-2023 at 06:40 PM.

Oh, ok, sure. Sounds plausible. Thanks for your help.

?

Just a little update, they are actually "hot water bottles" and not bed warmers. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused the learned readers of WRF.
    Hot water bottle

Some forty years ago, a member wrote in to a newsletter I subscribed to and asked what his Japanese bottle was for. It had writing on it and the outside was corrugated. The following month, an older Japanese person replied that when he was a child back in the 1930s, his mother would place the exact same looking bottle in his bed prior to bedtime! And that is why I have an inkling as to what it could be. Some things one just does not forget and this was one of them.

Hope this helps in your scholarly pursuits and that you will remember it forty years from now.

Kiipu,

But Rich lives in Fukuoka and is quite familiar with the hot water bottles you show. Rich, how large is it? Is it possibly a hand warmer ... カイロ?

Unknown military item

-- Guy

Thanks to you both for your help and time invested in responding. Kiipu, based on my current age, I probably won't make it another 40 years to remember this. 10, maybe? LOL

Yeah, Guy, looks to be a hand warmer. Perfect size for that.

Best,
    Rich

On the other hand, it does say to warm it in water and remove the lid... Not sure what is under the lid. Another lid? Because there's liquid sloshing around...

?

Quote by fukuoka View Post
    Because there's liquid sloshing around...
    Alcohol to prevent freezing?

Quote by fukuoka View Post
    ....Kiipu, based on my current age, I probably won't make it another 40 years to remember this. 10, maybe? LOL...
    Ha! I'm giving myself another 35 .... want to make it to 105. Glad to see you posting again, Rich. Have missed your informative comments (and site ... gone ... alas).

How's the current エルにニオ [El Niño] in Fukuoka? Was hoping to make it to Tokyo this summer but glad I put it off 'till October.

Cheers,
    -- Guy

?

It doesn’t make much sense to remove the lid if it’s a hand-, bed-, or anything else-warmer.
    The lid appears to be soldered on, and to remove it would seem to render the thing non-reusable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast