Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Urgent identification help greatly appreciated

Article about: Hi there, I hate to ask for help so soon to signing up but I hope that this is the beginning of a long journey that will result in me being able to contribute back to this awesome forum. A k

?

Default Urgent identification help greatly appreciated

Hi there,
    I hate to ask for help so soon to signing up but I hope that this is the beginning of a long journey that will result in me being able to contribute back to this awesome forum.

A katana blade is being sold at the antique auction house I frequent in two days and I was hoping somebody could help me with identifying whether it is a knockoff or authentic and translating the engraving. It would be even more help if you could give me a very rough idea to the value of this piece but I understand if that values are not talked about in this forum.

As a Japanese kitchen knife enthusiast and hobby knife maker I was drawn to this piece and now I am hungry to learn more about it and Nihonto.

There is no information provided but I was lucky enough to be allowed to take it out of the shirasaya for some photos.
    Here is a link to the photos and a rubbing of the engraving.

Katana by esber_88 | Photobucket

Thanks for any help or comment you can contribute.
    Kind regards,
    Jungle

?

It is a Chinese fake. The pattern in the blade would never be on a Japanese sword.

?

Quote by Boaris View Post
    It is a Chinese fake. The pattern in the blade would never be on a Japanese sword.
    Thanks for your help, i will steer clear and start researching

PLEASE!
    Save the photos to your computer and upload them directly to this thread. This thread will become useless if not.
    Please don't use picture hosting from other picture hosting sites for the forum
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I agree a fake.

Amateurs will never be able to match the craftsmanship of a genuine Japanese sword smith. Welcome to the forum. As Ralph mentioned, in the future always post pictures with our system so they remain with the thread. Photobucket is useless in the future. Thanks.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

MAP
    ?

As Bob notes above. The fakes can't match quality.

Urgent identification help greatly appreciatedUrgent identification help greatly appreciatedUrgent identification help greatly appreciated
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Here are photos guys, thanks for your help.

David

These pictures are basically useless as it is impossible to see blade details. The signature is posted sideways and the kanji are indistinct and blurry. That said, if you get sharp pictures of the mei, I can tell you a lot more. The shape does not look like a Chinese fake to me. Note the sticky thread on how to properly post a sword tang.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    These pictures are basically useless as it is impossible to see blade details. The signature is posted sideways and the kanji are indistinct and blurry. That said, if you get sharp pictures of the mei, I can tell you a lot more. The shape does not look like a Chinese fake to me. Note the sticky thread on how to properly post a sword tang.
    Hi Bob,
    There is clearly some forum etiquette that I have overlooked so I apologise for that.
    I posted the photos in the correct orientation in the uploader however it has rotated them. I will try again below in both direct upload and URL links, please let me know which one works better and I will repost with the correct format. If you click on the image it should enlarge and become much more clear.
    It also seems that the pictures stay the correct orientation and image quality through email so I will email photos of the mei to you and would greatly appreciate any information you could give me as the auction is tomorrow morning and at this stage I will not be bidding as advised by the helpful forumites, unless there is something that we have overlooked.

I have uploaded a ton of photos, some of which may be useless but I don't know exactly what you're looking for so here is all of them. There are a couple of angles which should help you make the Mei characters out.

I have next to no experience identifying katana but here are my observations that may help:
    -It seemed odd that the 'damascus' pattern continued right up to the spine in one place towards the middle of the sword. from my understanding the yakiba should be even along the blade.
    -The saya looked of poor craftsmanship however it may not have been original and there was a little piece of red fiber on the tang indicating that it may have had another kind of home once.
    -I could barely see a hamon in the correct light and it was not very pronounced all down the blade however the blade did have some surface rust and lots of patina, i know with my knives that makes the hamon hard to see.
    I was surprised by how dark the rust was on the tang and had hoped this was an indicator of its age.
    -The rust colour and buildup on the tang seemed very dark and I assumed this meant the sword was old, it did not look unnatural or applied and looked like it had built up naturally.
    -The sword was a little banged up with a couple of dings along the edge
    -There was no information provided with the item description other than "samurai sword blade - possibly meijii" telling me the seller did not know much about it.

Thanks so much to everyone who has provided assistance,

Kind regards

David Esber

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Urgent identification help greatly appreciated  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast