MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

What did a Japanese " Erk " look like ( Rabaul, 1943 - 1944 ) ?

Article about: Good afternoon everybody. I am busy with an illustration that depicts a scene on Lakunai Airfield ( Rabaul, Island of New Britain ), between 1943 and 1944. Despite my thorough research, ther

Ever since Medhi introduced the RAF slang "Erk" in post #1 I wondered if it was an acronym. Wiki supplies the answer:

Erk – old RAF nickname originating in the First World War; it started out as 'airk' (short for aircraftman), and came to mean any low or basic rank person or beginner.

============
    Imperial War Museum:

AN "ERK" - THE "TOMMY" OF THE R.A.F.
    Original wartime caption: The "Erk" is the R.A.F. equivalent of the Army's "Tommy". All airmen below NCO status are Erks, and the title embraces men of all trades and occupations. It is the Erk who keeps the R.A.F. in the air, maintains its bombers, fighters, transport and training aircraft, who does all the little jobs without which the big job could not go on. He is ubiquitous. He is trained in ground fighting, and Erks were among the early arrivals on the beaches of North Africa, ready to fight their way to the airfields needed by the Allied Air Forces, and then to get on with their real job. The fitter and rigger Erks have a fierce pride in their aircraft and their pilots. Here is "Lofty" an average Erk. His job is not spectacular, but the pilot of his Spitfire knows how much he depends upon him. (Picture issued 1943) Another day begins for "Lofty" a rigger Erk, serving with a famous fighter squadron.

Cheers!
    -- Guy

Found an image!
    Japanese drinking coconut milk

Cheers,
    -- Guy

Hello Guy,

Now, you know, mate !

Among all the former R.A.F. and S.A.A.F. airmen I have interviewed from Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 until Thursday, January 23rd, 2020, one was an " Erk ", indeed. His name was Maurice " Bob " Leens ( Belgian, R.A.F.V.R. ). He did manage to escape from occupied Belgium, then went across France. But, when he set a foot in Spain, he got caught by the Guardia Civil and was interned in various prisons, as well as in the infamous concentration camp of Miranda de Ebro. After his liberation, Maurice eventually arrived on British soil, and decided to join the R.A.F. While his training on Tiger Moth was ongoing, his father - he also did manage to leave occupied Belgium - arrived in Great Britain. Once he learned about his son's situation ( Maurice was under 21 years old ), he had lodged a statement of opposition... because he did not want his son to fly. In other words, he did not want to loose his son. But, even though he could not be either a Pilot, a Navigator, an Air Gunner, etc.. Maurice wanted to stay in the R.A.F. anyway. He then became an Equipment Assistant, in service with No. 350 " Belgian " Squadron, and held the rank of Leading Aircraftman ( correct abbreviation : L.A.C. ). During his time with the " Three - Five - O ", he was given the nickname " Bob ", because when he was frowning, he looked like the American actor Robert Taylor.

Maurice " Bob " Leens, who became my third best friend among the former airmen, passed away in 2015.

Thanks very much for the photograph, which is already well - known to me . But, this is the best example I have ever seen, so, it will be very helpful indeed.

Good day to you.

Cheers,

Mehdi.

And now, does it look better ?

Guy-san: That’s a great photo that you found!
    It perfectly catches the atmosphere of IJN ground crew in the southern islands.
    In almost all of the photos of ground crew which were not staged, like group photos where they would try to look more soldierly by wearing their field caps, the majority of the crewmen were captured wearing the floppy hats presenting a relaxed atmosphere.
    Judging from the lighter coloration of the Zero as opposed to the later dark green coloration, it must be fairly early in the war. Also of note is that the man standing closest to the aircraft is wearing his fatigue dress; “事業衣袴” with the pull over shirt.

Mehdi-san: I think the drawing looks better now but am somewhat surprised that if you already knew of the latest photo Guy posted, which I think best represents what IJN ground crew typically looked like, that you didn’t follow it in your earlier attempts. (Although I must say that we did all have a fun time searching the web and paging through old books, etc.)
    Last edited by Akira Komiya; 03-15-2024 at 02:54 AM.

Good morning Akira Komiya,

The two examples of this very photograph I have seen earlier were, unfortunately, not as sharp and large as I wanted. I understand how much you are surprised but, as I said on February 11th, I am a man of details, perfectionist and passionate. So, I a very grateful to Guy for having posted this copy, indeed . Despite the photograph is not as large and sharp as I want it to be, it is clear enough to observe some details though.

I am glad to hear that my enquiry has brought you all fun while doing your search on the Internet and through books as well !!! This is what this forum is all about. Sharing knowledge and passion on one particular subject or another.

Time flies, gentlemen. The bloody clock is still ticking . I must get back to work. I am also making preparations for an event that will take place in France ( March 23rd - 24th ), in Alsace, to be precise.

Good day to you all.

Cheers,

Mehdi.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5