Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Whoops! I now own a naginata

Article about: As there have been hardly any fairs in England this year, and I nearly always get my artefacts that way, I recently put in a couple of bids for an auction - and, now own a naginata!!! Know n

Default Whoops! I now own a naginata

As there have been hardly any fairs in England this year, and I nearly always get my artefacts that way, I recently put in a couple of bids for an auction - and, now own a naginata!!!
    Know nothing about them really, just thought that there can't be many in the UK. I like to handle things, so for me it's a bit risky bidding based on photos.
    It was listed as late Edo, which I assume is right. Blade is 12 1/2 inches (the actual blade with a cutting edge), total length 88 inches (224 cm). Seem to be some old marks for matching the blade to the shaft.
    Does anyone have any knowledge about these?
    Cheers,
    Tony

Whoops! I now own a naginataWhoops! I now own a naginataWhoops! I now own a naginataWhoops! I now own a naginataWhoops! I now own a naginataWhoops! I now own a naginataWhoops! I now own a naginata

MAP
    ?

No nothing but it certainly looks cool! Chopped any "tree" limbs off to see if it works?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

You need to post it here (link below) in the nihonto section, lots of expertise there. Nihonto Message Board

Have posted on Nihonto as per Dave's suggestion. Will update this post with any insights gained.
    Cheers,
    Tony

The consensus on Nihonto was that this naginata is of late Edo period and made essentially for parade purposes. The blade is somewhat crude, but it could be that the tang has been cutdown for mounting in this particular pole.
    Cheers,
    Tony