Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Why did the army revive the Samurai sword design in 1934 for officers?

Article about: Why did the army revive the Samurai sword design in 1934 for officers? Authors of Japanese military sword books, who are merely collectors, without the capability of researching original war

?

I have reason to believe that Japanese officers never really gave up on the traditional blade for combat, but put them in modified hilts that would "pass muster". The print dates to May 1895 and is titled "Picture of Captain Awata, Who Fights Furiously with His Celebrated Sword in the Assault on Magongcheng"

Indeed some officers continued to believe in traditional Japanese blades, and that was possible due to merchants like Suya, who successfully overturned the army's plan to source all its swords from Solingen, here in my neighborhood. These blades obviously served them better in the Sino-Japanese War than the Solingen blades, and that is why the committee pushed for official adoption of traditional blades throughout the army after that war.

Those who could not simply discard old Samurai ways to adapt to the Meiji era and the ambivalence with which society treated them is beautifully and heart-wrenchingly portrayed in the movie Snow on the Blades, a movie I highly recommend to those interested in the Zeitgeist of those turbulent times.

"Snow of the Blades" looks very interesting ... and I'm not particularly fond of jidai-geki, believe it or not. I like Hiroshi Abe as an actor as well as the other, older actor, though I don't know his name.

Interesting....

Thanks Nick!

?

Quote by stegel View Post
    I have a type 95 in Kogarusa-Maru configuration (i think i spelt it right).
    It has a double edged blade, not single edged. The groove (bohi) starts as a normal type95 and widens out to the same size as the type 32 groove and matches the German cavalry swords groove.
    The curvature of the blade is further exaggerated when compared to the normal type95 blade, and it appears to replicate the WW1 Prussian Artillery/Cavalry soldiers blade. (see the pics below)

From the serial numbers i place production at about 07-08 month in 1942.
    My question i guess, is do you think it may have been intended for cavalry use?
    OK, you finally got my attention. Does the blade have a final inspection stamp and if so, what is it? How far back does the double edge go?

Looks like Murata played around with this style so you may be onto something.
    "Kogarasu Maru"
    Kogarasu Maru - Wikipedia

Did you see my post about the Meiji sword? The tip appears double edged.
    Meiji Era Enlisted Sword - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

?

Does the blade have a final inspection stamp and if so, what is it? How far back does the double edge go?
    Blade after serial number 'To' - 東
    Fuchi front - Suya / To / Tokyo 1st (Not Kokura)
    Fuchi rear - has a small stamp, unfortunately i cannot make it out.

The blade has greater curvature than the standard T95. The Top of the tip extends back for 125mm (5") with an edge before reverting to the regular spine (mune) It is not Razor Sharp but the first 50mm is similar to the bottom edge before slowly blending into the spine and blade thickness.
    I also have a Type94/98 with the same shape by Kanenori.

Did you see my post about the Meiji sword? The tip appears double edged.
    Just looked at it, it looks to be 'similar' but 'not quite' like a Type 8, that is, with part of the hand guard modified. Yes it's double edged tip too.
    Here's some pics of the Type 8's..
    Why did the army revive the Samurai sword design in 1934 for officers?Why did the army revive the Samurai sword design in 1934 for officers?Why did the army revive the Samurai sword design in 1934 for officers?

?

That type 8 is a very Prussian looking design. The "double edge" appears on most Western sabres, and we referr to it as the "false edge". It makes for a more effective thrust with the point, and possibly ( just possibly) aids with the cut at the cost of slightly less rigidity.

Both Fuller and Dawson show examples of these Dave. Clemen & Jung made some for Japan.

?

Solingen made swords for everyone! So did the UK.

?

Thought i added this, but now i see it didn't get added!

Yes, one is an early Solingen!

?

You might like this one. A bit of a digression but still interesting. On another note some time ago a vendor had a load of spares from Wilkinsons bit-box up for sale, and in there were some type 95 parts...... Why did the army revive the Samurai sword design in 1934 for officers?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast