MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ww2 SAYA

Article about: Hello all, I have a question in regard to a WW2 Officer’s sword I picked up a couple years ago, it wasn’t sold with a saya. A friend of mine let me purchase one he wasn’t using just so

DaveR would has more experience with removing parts. He would be your best advisor on that. All mine are held on by tiny screws.

I had a machine shop make a replacement spring for my chuso. Like you said, it probably cost the original shop $2 (labor included), but I had to pay the guy $100! If you are in the USA, there is a guy who could probably make and attach one for you at a much better price (I found him AFTER I re-did my chuso):

Don Schlickman
    1470 Wood St.
    Dubuque, IA. 52001-4256
    Phone: 563-556-8496
    Cell # 563-580-4220
    email: dfsjpn@aol.com

I bet you could mail it to him and have it fixed.

Thanks for the info. I’m gonna send him an email with a photo and see what he charges. One of my friends, who’s also an FFl, gunsmith, and a machinist hasn’t given me a price for adding the spring.

The last issue I have is the tang being damaged. Now the fittings aren’t tight anymore because of the deterioration. I’m gonna make a sleeve to fit over the tang, but it will have to be paper thin. One guy told me to fill it with epoxy... I think he’s been sniffing too much epoxy!!!

Once I get all the pieces and back together there won’t be any reason to take it apart again.

I’m gonna take photos of the other side of the tang in a bit and post them.

Thank you again for the phone number and email.

D

D,
    Looseness in the handle is fixed by adding a seppa or 2. The propper number of seppa, once the mekugi (bamboo peg) is inserted, will make the handle/nakago immovable. Could you lay out the seppa/tsuba combo in a picture for us? You may just be missing one of the smaller ones.

The fittings are the ones that are loose. They slide onto the tang without much resistance. I’m getting the sideways wiggle. The fitting seem a bit too big for the tang now since it deteriorated a lot. I’m gonna post several pics of the tang in the sunlight. Once again, it’s pretty bad and can barely make out. I will post the fittings next.

These are the best that my camera can take. Sorry if they don’t help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 SAYA   Ww2 SAYA  

Ww2 SAYA   Ww2 SAYA  

Ww2 SAYA   Ww2 SAYA  

Ww2 SAYA   Ww2 SAYA  

Ww2 SAYA  

And here’s some pics of the fittings... my wife’s phone camera is better than mine.. hope this helps.

D

Ww2 SAYA   Ww2 SAYA  

Ww2 SAYA  

And some pics of the locking piece that needs a new spring..

Ww2 SAYA   Ww2 SAYA  

Ww2 SAYA  

?

Like Bruce says, the koiguchi (Carps mouth) is usually secured with two tiny screws, but on a wooden saya I am not so sure. Your wooden saya is either a late war erzats or an earlier upgrade to reduce weight. Have a good trawl on here..
    Military Swords of Imperial Japan (GuntM)

Ebay has most stuff that you would want. As for "shimming" the tang, bamboo leaf was sometimes used, or even a wood shaving, as I saw on an antique original, signed by the guy who did it. This is what was done on one WW2 original.......Ww2 SAYA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2