Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Japanese Army Officers Sword

Article about: Hi guys, I sold some items from my collection to help me afford a Japanese sword! Since its going to be an expensive purchase I would really appreciate experienced collectors to look this sw

Default WWII Japanese Army Officers Sword

Hi guys, I sold some items from my collection to help me afford a Japanese sword! Since its going to be an expensive purchase I would really appreciate experienced collectors to look this sword over before I make the purchase. Thanks in advance!

-John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Army Officers Sword   WWII Japanese Army Officers Sword  

WWII Japanese Army Officers Sword   WWII Japanese Army Officers Sword  

John,
    When it comes to a sword or dagger the blade condition is everything. I’m not sure of the asking price for the sword but I do not like the Condition of the blade.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    John,
    When it comes to a sword or dagger the blade condition is everything. I’m not sure of the asking price for the sword but I do not like the Condition of the blade.

Marty
    Thanks Marty, the sword is being offered by a dealer for $800. I'm not looking for a pristine sword, just an authentic example. But if this one is not worth it, I'll wait for a better example.

Wait for other opinions but for 800 I would wait. If you add another 200-300 you can get a really nice war time made sword and it will be one that will increase in value. I what you to be really happy with a purchase and have zero regrets.

Marty

I appreciate that Marty. I posted the sword for review also on Wehrmacht Awards so we'll see what is said over there too. Condition has never bothered me in collecting but as you mentioned it means everything in edged weapons. I do have a question though regarding edged weapons, is it better to have a worn / beat up blade, or a recently polished blade?

Quote by John4022 View Post
    I appreciate that Marty. I posted the sword for review also on Wehrmacht Awards so we'll see what is said over there too. Condition has never bothered me in collecting but as you mentioned it means everything in edged weapons. I do have a question though regarding edged weapons, is it better to have a worn / beat up blade, or a recently polished blade?
    If you are referring to a Japanese blade, a blade that is professionally restored is fine. Michael(Map) had a sword restored a few years back and it is an amazing example of one done correctly.

Marty

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    If you are referring to a Japanese blade, a blade that is professionally restored is fine. Michael(Map) had a sword restored a few years back and it is an amazing example of one done correctly.

Marty

You mean this little 'ol thing?

John, post 39 shows the before and after but you should probably scan through the whole thread (BTW...photos are terrible. Before I had a good camera and proper photo studio. I would not stand for photos like this now).

Katana identification

While not being an expert, I would say that traditional Japanese blades are one of the few "military" antiques that increase in value with a proper restoration. But I don't think this applies to war time made examples (probably given the cost of restoration). But happy for the pro's to correct me.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Oh wow thats beautiful MAP, I bet your son has played with that a few times when you weren't looking, I would have at that age ! I'm taking a big leap here from collecting patches so I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me. I had someone over on Wehrmacht Awards say that the price was too high as well. I only have $900 in the bank so I'll have to give it a few weeks to get some more dough saved up. This sword is being sold over at Griffin Militaria, is there any other good sites that sell these? I've read eBay is a big no no to buy swords, especially for an amateur like me.

MAP
    ?

Its in a case with a no touch policy. The edge is so sharp that it will slice your finger off if you are not careful pullling it out or putting it in the scabbard.

No no on ebay. And stay away from gunbrokers as well. I too think $900 is a bit steep but I haven't bought one in many years. Griffen is a good shop though. Maybe he will accept a lower offer.

I'm sure the sword guys will chime in with suggestions of where to look for others.

As you step up to more expensive and harder to find items, patience is key. Take your time. Know exactly what you want, the condition you are ok with and get a good idea of what one in that range should cost (+ a 15% "I gotta have it buffer" )
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Wait john and pass on this one. Save up and get one that will not need to be restored. Michael can tell you, Its not cheap and only should be done to a sword that is made by a known swordsmith to increase in value after a professional does the work. In the scabbard it looks good, but that blade will not improve over time.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast