Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWII Japanese Army Officers Sword

Article about: Hi guys, I sold some items from my collection to help me afford a Japanese sword! Since its going to be an expensive purchase I would really appreciate experienced collectors to look this sw

?

I would make an offer and see what happens. It looks to be a genuine war time made Japanese officers sword, with a carbon steel blade, non traditional, and if you just want it as militaria, that is a good thing. No special maintenance protocol needed, No sign of differential hardening so it's probably hardened and tempered in the Western fashion. No signature, no stamps, just a lick of paint to track it through assembly, and minimal filing on the tang. A factory or workshop made piece, and nothing wrong with that.
    The mounts are excellent, and the Sarute, loop for the tassel, is a high class one. No real issues there. It's a pity that it is in a "field scabbard" rather than the metal formal scabbard, and I would use that as a bargaining point.
    What I would do, is ask for an in hand inspection, and check for rot to the wood and the silk binding. I would otherwise check for any looseness in the assembly, which is usually an indication of a shotgun job.
    I think it's a good one for someone who just wants a decent Shin-Gunto as a piece of militaria. You can get better, for more money, you can also get worse.

Thank you Dave for the enlightening comment. My plan now is to just wait a bit before buying a Japanese sword. I get the feeling that I jumped quickly into this area of collecting. I feel I should give it some time, expand my knowledge, save up more money in the process, and wait for a nice example to pop up. I realized I have my whole life ahead of me to get an example, and I'd like that example to be a quality one.

?

Well, you are not going to lose out with that game plan. Scour the internet, look on ebay for examples and current market prices... And have a good look here... Military Swords of Imperial Japan (GuntM)

You can find excellent gunto at dealer sites (I've bought more than a couple myself from them), but they are usually at the high end of market pricing. You might find lower prices at the For Sale forums here, Wehrmacht awards, and NMB.

The sword has been sold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2