Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)

Article about: Today I purchased some items from a WWII US soldier's estate who served in the Pacific in the 77th Infantry Division. Some of the Japanese items that he brought back from the war that I purc

Default WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)

Today I purchased some items from a WWII US soldier's estate who served in the Pacific in the 77th Infantry Division. Some of the Japanese items that he brought back from the war that I purchased were a flashlight, rifle cleaning kit, and some papers. I'm uploading pictures of the flashlight in the hopes that someone can give me more information on it. I tried Googling it and couldn't find anything similar. Perhaps I'll create another post later with pictures of some of the other items.

WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)

MAP
    ?

While never seeing one of these in hand before, it is shown in Agustin Saiz book "Heitai - Uniforms, Equipment & Personal Items of the Japanese Infantryman, 1931-1945"

It is identified as a standard army issued flashlight (no model # given) with the transport case. There were also color filtered lenses (not shown in the book but stored in the front pocket).

Yours was made in Showa 19 (1944) in the month of July.

Maybe someone can read the 3 Kanji characters on the inside cover.

Nice piece!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very nice flashlight..

I have had one that my grandfather had that he found at an Army Airfield in Bangor, Maine during WW2. He was responsible for cleaning out barracks and officer quarters after they departed and he found a flashlight just like this..

I have been wondering for over 45 years what it exactly was.. I didn't know it had a carrying case.. This is a wonderful find..

Welcome to the forum as well..

Smitty

Thanks for the info on the flashlight.

Here are some of the other pieces from the lot.

WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)

There's also some newspaper clippings including one that talks about the soldier being awarded the Bronze Star for "heroic achievement" at Leyte as well as pictures, patches, and other paperwork.

MAP
    ?

Very nice rifle cleaning kit. Really like that! A lot!

The bag is for holding personal effects. I think it is called a Houko Bukuro. Like a service ditty bag.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A great little grouping of items..

Thank you MAP for explaining the showa dates.. My flashlight has a showa of 17/11 1942 November...

Smitty

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    A great little grouping of items..

Thank you MAP for explaining the showa dates.. My flashlight has a showa of 17/11 1942 November...

Smitty
    Anytime Smitty. Happy to help.

MAP
    ?

I would suggest you repost the pieces of paper in a new thread and ask for some translation help. Hopefully Nick or Guy will see it and help with at least a partial or explanation of what the printed doc is.

The flash light is designated a "Type 1 (M1941) Low Intensity Lamp". The little bakelit tab says do not discard when exchanging battery. Shown below is a similar "Type 2 lamp" showing type of battery needed, etc.

The slip of paper is an inheritance tax invoice/notice addressed to an Okinawan woman, who inherited the household from a man that passed away in 1940.

The bag is a service bag for army reservists more on that here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Find (Flashlight, Rifle Cleaning Kit, and Papers)  

Nick,

Thank you very much for showing the components of the flashlight.. As I mentioned above, I have never been able to positively identify this other than my grandfather brought it home from an Army Air Base in Bangor, Maine when he was a facilities supervisor in WW2 responsible for cleaning out pilot and crew quarters after they departed.. He brought home a lot of things that were left behind.. This is a cherished artifact that I have...

Smitty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast