MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I have

Article about: I'm hoping somebody on here can tell me what I have. I'm a novice when it come to these swords. I've looked up Gunto, and 98's and I can't really tell the difference from one to another. I t

Default WWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I have

I'm hoping somebody on here can tell me what I have. I'm a novice when it come to these swords. I've looked up Gunto, and 98's and I can't really tell the difference from one to another. I took this sword on trade and just love the looks of it. I'm really interested on the top part (Kashira?) there is a circle with three lines and would like to know what this means as other swords I've looked at don't have this. I know I need to learn all the parts and their names so I can correctly ask about specific parts. But for now I'd just like to know if this is a katana? I'm pretty sure it's Army because of the tassle. But just would like a simple explanation of the model and such. I haven't taken this apart yet. Probably won't until I learn more about it. Thank you for anything you can provide on this.WWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I haveWWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I haveWWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I haveWWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I haveWWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I haveWWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I have

A Type 98 Army officer's Gunto with the tassel indicating company grade officer. The silver disc has the character for river, a shortened family name that starts with Kawa (Kawamoto,-mura,-saki,-wada, zoe,-kita etc. etc). A nice piece. Now you'll have to show the tang.

To reinforce what Nick said:

Kawa
    ~gawa

--Guy

Mr. Rat (or may we call you Wharf?),

You have a high-quality gunto there! All the fittings the blade are housed in are called "koshirae", and these are higher quality than the norm, so it's likely you've got a nicer blade, possibly made by a quality smith, inside. Please post some pics of the blade tip, an example of mid-blade, and good clear pics of the tang (nakago) so we can see by who , and mabye, when it was made.

You can read terminology on several pages here: THE JAPANESE SWORD GUIDE

?

It has been taken apart, cus seppas isnt in right order. Seams to be missing one seppa.

Is tsuba loose are the sword tight?

Thank you for all the replies. Yes the handle (tsuba?) is a little loose. Thank you for the information on this. It is in great shape. That's too bad if it's missing a piece. I guess Ill have to research and find one for it. I'll watch some videos on youtube for the correct way to break this down. I've just been hesitant to break it down because I don't want to mess it up. I'll take more detailed photos. Thanks again!

The you for the info on this! I'm reading it over now. Mr. Rat..Lol

Ok I'm not sure about the handle. I found the little peg, but on the opposite side is the brass flowers. I'm not sure how you would tap this out without moving this brass piece? Not sure if it was made this way or what. Others don't seem to have this. I'll take more photo's

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast