Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I have

Article about: I'm hoping somebody on here can tell me what I have. I'm a novice when it come to these swords. I've looked up Gunto, and 98's and I can't really tell the difference from one to another. I t

I meant the Menuki is on the opposite side of the Mekugi! That's what I meant previously.

The Menuki is not covering the Mekugi, but the handle-wrap tape is. Poking it diagonally from the side should get it out.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I have  

I'll give that a go. Thank you!

The mekugi is out but I cannot for the life of me get the handle off. It's stuck on there good, or am I missing another mekugi somewhere? I'm watching youtube videos on how to disassemble but nothing seems to be working

With the blade standing in vertical position, you are supposed to give the grip a good jolt with your palm downwards to unseat the blade. Here's how to do it in stubborn cases YouTube

For safety's sake hold the piece over your bed as sometimes the blade may literally "Jump" out of the Tsuka "Handle" and it would be safer landing on the bed than on the floor where it could be damaged or broken. Very nice piece in good shape.

Regards,Geoff

Well. We I have a mystery on my hands. I finally got the handle off and was surprised to see 3 holes in the tang. What does that mean? Also the tang (nakago) is very rusted and I can't see any markings at all. Need to figure out how to clean this up a bit without damaging it. Underneath the Fuchi (?) there seems to be some kind of marking in pencil. I can't make it out. The Tsuba and Seppa and the other hardware are all marked with a "21". Is the 21 a makers mark for a certain maker? I'm bummed that the blade has no markings. Just curious as to the three holes in the tang (nakago). I do appreciate all the help on this. I'm learning a lot. And I'll get the pieces memorized here shortly. Thanks again! Photo's to follow

WWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I haveWWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I haveWWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I haveWWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I have

- - ------- - -

WWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I haveWWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I haveWWII Japanese sword question. Don't know what I have

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast