Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Officer sword

Article about: Opinions appreciated. Sorry for the photos but these are all I got. The seller is local so I can inspect the sword before I purchase, if I do.

Default WWII Officer sword

Opinions appreciated. Sorry for the photos but these are all I got. The seller is local so I can inspect the sword before I purchase, if I do.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Officer sword   WWII Officer sword  

WWII Officer sword   WWII Officer sword  

?

Pictures of both sides of the tang would be of great help.
    I like what I see so far.

Steve,

I did ask about the tang and any markings and he said it contained none.

Thanks,

Max

A period original oil tempered military blade of non traditional construction. No mei on the tang is meaningless in judging a blade. There are many unsigned older blades and shortened older blades with signatures removed. This blade does not appear to be an older blade but a war period mass produced military blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    A period original oil tempered military blade of non traditional construction. No mei on the tang is meaningless in judging a blade. There are many unsigned older blades and shortened older blades with signatures removed. This blade does not appear to be an older blade but a war period mass produced military blade.
    I'm of the same opinion as Bob. It's not a hidden treasure but certainly a nice example, from what can be seen in those photos, of an IJA Army Officer sword in Type 98 configuration. It could also be that the seller is unaware of the possibility of the tiny Showa and Seki stamps that can be found on the blades. He may have based his comment upon the fact that there are no kanji present on the nakago. Does not matter either way really but if you decide to pursue it further take a moment to check for them. They are most often found near the top of the nakago.

Regards,
    Stu

What is he asking for it?