Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges

Article about: While combing through the archives I came across uniform regulations for workers at the Yokosuka Naval Arsenal. At the end I found badges featuring anchors, which I think someone had once as

?

Thanks Guy!

Imperial Naval Academy Class Name Tags

In 1935, for students of the 3 Naval Academies for Officers, a name and class seniority tag was established for wear on the right chest. At that time, the academy was a 4-year program, so students wore a plain oval badge with their family name for the first year. The second year was indicated by the bottom quarter of the badge rim getting a black frame, which extended to half the circumference in the third year, 3/4 in the 4th and a full black frame in the 5th year.

However, the whole program got reduced to 3 years from 1942. So the plain badge remained the same for the first year, but the second year students got the half frame and third year the full frame from that time.

Shown below is an example in celluloid of a pre-42 4th grade student badge named to a Takabayashi.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges   Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges  

Lemme see if I can revive this thread.I have the same badge.One thing I have always wondered is does the propeller stand for the navy airwing or rather aircraft department technical skills? And what could the square-ish design on both sides of the prop be?

?

My new double sided printed Yokosuka navy Arsenal flag 14"X 10 1/4" which is sleeved on right for pole. Perhaps a vehicle fender flag?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges  

In the course of researching the Conscripted Laborer Patch, I ran into more naval shipyard worker badge information. So here they are. The long time service badge featured in post 15 now turns out to be a first class badge, as the class-system was not gold, silver and copper, but silver, copper and iron.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges   Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges  

Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges  

Official specs for the conscripted worker's badge for the naval shipyard. I do not know which archive document this was originally taken from, as it was not found by me, but it confirms the ID of the badge in wartime document form should there still remain doubt. The term 徴用工 for conscripted worker predates the term 応徴士 as coined in August 1943, so these badges were in use earlier than the requisitioned worker patches for the left chest.
    Attached Images Attached Images Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges 

?

Could this pin back be general administrative as in post #12 ? There’s a stamped number at top
    Attached Images Attached Images Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges 

?

Finally found one with correct box
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Yokosuka Naval Arsenal Worker's Badges  

For those interested in navy arsenal related memorabilia, I highly recommend downloading the pdf booklet from this site.. The booklet features an extensive collection of products and worker badges from the Toyokawa Naval Arsenal. Only in Japanese, though.

Attached below is a sample page.

?

Over at NMB, I ran across a commuter badge 通勤章 that could be associated with Yokosuka Naval Arsenal 横廠. Hopefully, Adachi & Jareth can confirm or deny.
    Please assist with tag translation
    or
    Tagged WW2 Japanese Dagger

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast