Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Brigate Nere skull insignia

Article about: Hi! I've purchased this skull today for a pretty good price, but I would like to know an opinion on any expert on RSI militaria about it's authenticity. I personally think it looks like an o

CBH
    ?

Just an observation, the OP and Al’s first one that he questions have a matching defect in the nasal passage. So probably came from the same place.

?

You can see the difference from ours when compared side by side....

Brigate Nere skull insigniaBrigate Nere skull insignia

I didn't actually catch that they share the defect, good eyes! Hm, that means that they are either from the same source during the war, or were copies made by the same person. Still, quite interesting.

?

Correct, the guy from Italy selling them on ebay has a hoard from wartime or he's cranking them out in his house

Well, I will continue to do research, and maybe reach out to the guy on ebay. Who knows, maybe he actually has a stash of them.

Dos
    ?

Currently for sale at auction, An interesting piece that i don't know for sure if its authentic. It sure does look like a quality piece and shows the skull that you both have with some minor differences. Unfortunately we can't see the back of it, because it is attached to the fez.

Thought i should share it here since the pictures are of good quality and the information and reference threads on this subject are limited here on War Relics.

"Officer’s fez of the Moschettieri del Duce.
    Variant used by the Moschettieri during the Aegean expedition.
    In very good condition, as shown in photos.
    Extremely rare item"

-Dos

Brigate Nere skull insigniaBrigate Nere skull insigniaBrigate Nere skull insignia
    Brigate Nere skull insigniaBrigate Nere skull insigniaBrigate Nere skull insignia

?

That is very cool ! I've never seen the combination of the metal skull mounted on the bullion swords but it is believable to my eyes. I saw one at auction that resembled this diagram but I can't find the photo now.

Brigate Nere skull insignia

I'll add another example to this thread. I picked this guy up about a month back from a dealer here in the states. Its the shorter crossbone type. Interestingly enough, it has a different prong style which I have not yet seen on these types of badges. They look original to me, but I'll let others form their own opinions as I am certainly no expert. I really like these skulls, and they are quite large in comparison to what we normally see on other caps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brigate Nere skull insignia   Brigate Nere skull insignia  

?

Dan, I like it! It certainly has all the characteristics of known examples. The construction, material and finish all look right to me. I think the prongs are fine, they look original to the badge.
    Al

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2