Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

"Fronte Russo" badge

Article about: Morning everyone, I wanted to share this badge, which is among my favorites, today it has become quite difficult to find. I noticed that copies and reproductions are rampant on the internet,

Default "Fronte Russo" badge

Morning everyone,
    I wanted to share this badge, which is among my favorites, today it has become quite difficult to find.
    I noticed that copies and reproductions are rampant on the internet, some even insidious and discreetly made, it seemed to me a good idea to give some indications to help identify the originals and give some information on its history.
    It was an official badge dedicated to all veterans of the 8th Italian Army in Russia (ARMIR, July 1942-March 1943), and not bearing Fascist symbols, it could also be worn after the war.
    Made of a type of "war metal", in the first variant which is rarer to find, especially in good condition, it used the vertical pin which caused problems because it is often subject to breakage.
    To solve the problem it was later produced with the oblique brooch in two variants: short brooch and long brooch.
    Below are two examples of the second type in the short and long brooch variants, note that despite the change of the brooch, on the back side it retained the slots for the original vertical brooch:
    "Fronte Russo" badge"Fronte Russo" badge

For the sake of completeness, I also attach a copy of the decree with which the badge was authorized, which contains further information about its history and symbolism:
    "Fronte Russo" badge

For non-Italian friends, the translation of the decree follows:

"SUBJECT: MEMORY BADGE OF THE EIGHTH ARMY IN RUSSIA

THEIR OFFICES

This Command had a badge of the Eighth Army minted for the time spent in Russia.
    The badge is brooch and made so that it can be worn on the left pocket of the uniform jacket.
    It is constituted, as shown by the drawing, by a crown of laurel and one of thorns, tied to the top by the Savoy knot; in the center two Cossack sabers meet. At the base of the two crowns the inscription "Fronte Russo" is intertwined.
    He wants to remember the value through sacrifice as it actually happened in Russia.
    The price of the badge is L. 6; it must be requested directly from the firm F. M. LORIOLI FRATELLI - Via Fratelli Bronzetti 25 - Milan, remitting the amount in advance; the shipping costs are borne by the customers who can also arrange the collection directly by means of a specific person in charge.

Of order
    THE GENERAL OF DIVISION
    CHIEF OF STAFF
    (Bruno Malaguti)"

Very often it was worn together with the "Ice Cross", a medal; unofficial, Commemorative of the Italian Expeditionary Force in Russia (CSIR, July 1941-July 1942):
    "Fronte Russo" badge"Fronte Russo" badge

Regards
    Roberto

Hi Roberto.
    Wonderful examples. Thanks for sharing. They are probably my two favorite Italian decorations.
    I have a reproduction of a certain quality of the "Fronte Russo" The Crocce de Ghiaccio is one of my collecting dreams.

Congratulations

Regards
    Santi
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 10-23-2022 at 05:24 PM.

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    Hi Roberto.
    Wonderful examples. Thanks for sharing. They are probably my two favorite Italian decorations.
    I have a reproduction of a certain quality of the "Fonte Russo" The Crocce de Ghiaccio is one of my collecting dreams.

Congratulations

Regards
    Santi
    Thanks Santi,
    I'm glad you enjoyed and good hunting for your Ice Cross!

Regards
    Roberto

?

Great awards. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

MAP
    ?

Nice Roberto! A very informative thread too!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)