Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Italian helmets of WW2

Article about: Hello to all, I want to share with you my little, but I think interesting, collection of Italian WW2 helmets. To begin a helmet M33 used by italian infantryman on the Russian front, in fact

Hi Anthony,
    then I try to answer your questions:
    1) It is original, but the original paint is the one below (light sage); the repaint is not Italian, but it is probably a refurbished example from the Spanish Army, which received a supply of these helmets during the Civil War.
    Even the chin strap that I see is not the original one.
    2) For the color and type of the other components, I would say that it is an early production (1934-1936), and this would correspond with the Spanish supply; probably the lot number printed on the back of the shell is preceded by the letter "P".
    3) The rivet/air vents are crucial to define the period of production, those in your example called "type 1" by collectors, have the characteristic of being very rounded, of having a small diameter hole in the center and inside it was blocked by 2 folded tabs.
    But even before the war these rivet models were replaced because they proved not very resistant, in fact during use they loosened and made the liner unstable.
    The problem was solved with later models which were equipped with a greater number of foldable flaps.

Regards
    Roberto

ADH
    ?

Default Thank you

Thank you so much Roberto for the useful information. The likely history makes it even more special thank you. Kind regards Anthony

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3