Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Italian M33, or M33/47? Just got this helmet, trying to narrow it down and figure it out.

Article about: So, I spent around \\$45 for an advertised ww2 era m33 Italian helm. At the time, I figured why not? So it finally came, and I realize it's post war. It's in great shape, don't get me wrong an

Default Italian M33, or M33/47? Just got this helmet, trying to narrow it down and figure it out.

So, I spent around $45 for an advertised ww2 era m33 Italian helm. At the time, I figured why not? So it finally came, and I realize it's post war. It's in great shape, don't get me wrong and the steel helm itself may be from ww2, but I have no clue. I'm trying to narrow this helmet down. I've seen OldSteel's post but even comparing the pictures I can't tell as to what it is. I'm thinking it's a 50s era liner and chinstrap, but I could be wrong. Also, what does the M92 stand for? I've read here it the M stands for the manufacturer's name and the number is the batch number, but can anyone confirm? Any help? Note: First time posting pictures, hoping I get it right the first try. If not, check the thread and I'll probably have it done right.

Italian M33, or M33/47? Just got this helmet, trying to narrow it down and figure it out.Italian M33, or M33/47? Just got this helmet, trying to narrow it down and figure it out.Italian M33, or M33/47? Just got this helmet, trying to narrow it down and figure it out.

MAP
    ?

Welcome.

You are correct. This is a post war helmet. However, I am not sure of the era myself

Give it a bit of time and someone should be around to provide you with some more precise information
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi, this is a good example of an M33 refurbished after the war, therefore commonly referred to as the M33 / 47.
    All the components are the correct ones, and for the color tone and other details this latest revision dates back to the 60s / 70s.
    The shell could be from the WW2 period but it is impossible to say for sure, I confirm that in the code, the letter identifies the manufacturer (not known) while the numbers identify the production lot.
    The peculiarity of this example is represented by the metal structure of the liner, in fact it is the model dating back to the WW2 period, painted in gray-green and with rectangular chin strap lugs, used while stocks last.

Regards
    Roberto

Can you further elaborate on that last part? What makes it so peculiar? I understand the leather part of the liner itself is from the 60s/70s but you're saying the metal structure may have retained the ww2 model? Should I post additional pictures?

Thank you again Roberto!

Quote by LockAndKey View Post
    Can you further elaborate on that last part? What makes it so peculiar? I understand the leather part of the liner itself is from the 60s/70s but you're saying the metal structure may have retained the ww2 model? Should I post additional pictures?

Thank you again Roberto!
    Hi, no more photos are needed, I confirm that it is a shock-absorbing steel structure of the type produced until the period of the Second World War, which continued to be used afterwards as long as it was available.
    The difference lies in the mobile steel lugs to which the chin strap was fixed, which are inserted in a folded aluminum strip, and is a component that cannot be replaced individually:

rectangular lugs = years of production 30/40
    Italian M33, or M33/47? Just got this helmet, trying to narrow it down and figure it out.Italian M33, or M33/47? Just got this helmet, trying to narrow it down and figure it out.

trapezoidal lugs = production starting from the 1960s.
    Italian M33, or M33/47? Just got this helmet, trying to narrow it down and figure it out.Italian M33, or M33/47? Just got this helmet, trying to narrow it down and figure it out.

The aluminum strip can also be marked with the Turin Arsenal logo (AT + crown), but this is not a rule:
    Italian M33, or M33/47? Just got this helmet, trying to narrow it down and figure it out.
    This structure, particularly advanced for the time, is one of the strengths of this helmet, the shell was particularly hardened by metallurgical treatments and was very resistant, but being not very deformable, it needed a shock-absorbing structure capable of dissipating the energy of any strong shocks received.
    In fact it is very difficult to find a M33 in the combat version (those with three air vents) dented, rather if hit violently the shell tended to crack.

Regards
    Roberto