MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Italian Sword?

Article about: Hi All, I found this today, the grip looks similar to the m1888 Italian officers sword, however the hilt and fittings are all brass. Was wondering if anyone has any more information, or if t

Default Italian Sword?

Hi All,

I found this today, the grip looks similar to the m1888 Italian officers sword, however the hilt and fittings are all brass. Was wondering if anyone has any more information, or if this is a fantasy piece?

Thanks all in advance,
    Matt K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian Sword?   Italian Sword?  

Italian Sword?   Italian Sword?  

Italian Sword?  

Hi Matt...I would say it has a great chance in being authentic ,,but I do not study these types of swords.
    There is a locking flap mechanism on the swords crossguard that should match up with a pin that should be located on the upper scabbard fitting.

This flap mechanism is also seen on Naval type swords and would think as well this is a naval sword.
    The mechanism when locked onto the scabbard prevents the sword accidentally falling out during carry and on ships on water the sword can fall over board if walking along side the outer deck...if on land...one can easily pick up the sword and put it back in the scabbard ...while at sea ..the sword falls overboard and is gone forever.

There will be others to come along shortly and authenticate this sword for you ..but from the details Im seeing ..it stands a great chance of being authentic

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 05-29-2023 at 05:34 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your reply, it was sat in a corner in a local shop and I had a look over it a few times, they usually have ones that obviously ornamental swords or tourist pieces but eventually I decided that it may be something else and it came with me

Matt

Morning everyone,
    I state that I am not an expert on swords, but for what is my modest knowledge of the subject, I think it is a sword for non-commissioned officers of the Regia Marina mod. 1880.
    The photo of the blade isn't very clear, but I think I can identify an engraving showing the Savoyard shield "with fasces" type, symbol of the Italian Royal House, in use from 1929 to 1943; this element could be useful to date it.

Regards
    Roberto

Hi Roberto,

I shall get some better images of the blade when I'm back from work later tomorrow. I didn't realise that my camera was on "portrait mode" when I took the pictures which tries to blur the background out

Hi,

Close up photos of the etching on the blade

Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian Sword?   Italian Sword?  

Italian Sword?  

Hi Matt,
    well done the new photos, now the emblems of the Italian Royal House are clearly visible, and therefore I confirm what was said previously, it was produced in the period 1929-1943.
    Referring also to the images of the first post, on the engraved and nickel-plated blade, among the various decorations, an anchor and the "Column Duilia" are also visible, two clearly naval symbols that confirm the model and its destination for the Regia Marina.
    As I said, I'm not a sword expert, therefore I can't be sure that all the components are the correct and original ones, but overall it looks good to me.

Regards
    Roberto

Hi Roberto,

Thank you for your help. Sword expert or not, your knowledge on Italian items is far greater than mine and I have been struggling to date it precisely before. There's not a lot online in English about the model 1880 sword and my Italian is very limited.

Kind regards,
    Matt