Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

knife Kampfmesser Modell 1917" with emblem MVSN

Article about: Hi, all! Want to show You this Austrian-Hungarian "Kampfmesser Modell 1917", also called, "Sturmmesser". But why is there an Italian emblem? "MVSN "and medallio

?

Cool knife Kampfmesser Modell 1917" with emblem MVSN

Hi, all! Want to show You this Austrian-Hungarian "Kampfmesser Modell 1917", also called, "Sturmmesser".
    But why is there an Italian emblem? "MVSN "and medallion. We can find out by reading the medallion "XIII CORPO D'ARMATA CARsO 1915-16-17 TAGLIAMENTo-pAVE 1917-18"

The medallion with the inscription "XIII CORPO D'ARMATA CARsO 1915-16-17 TAGLIAMENTo-pAVE 1917-18" indicates affiliation with the XIII Corps of the Italian Army. CARsO could be an abbreviation for "Corpo d'Armata" or refer to a military district (Comando di Armata) or reserve infantry division (Corpo d'Armata di Riserva). The lines with the numbers 1915-16-17 and 1917-18 likely represent the years during which the Corps participated in military operations or battles. "TAGLIAMENTo-pAVE" may refer to the battles of Tagliamento and Piave that took place in 1917-1918 during World War I.

The battle of Tagliamento-Piave, which took place in 1917-1918, involved Italy and Austria-Hungary. It was a significant front in the Italian theater of operations, where both sides engaged in fierce combat. The Italian army, supported by its allies, faced off against Austro-Hungarian forces in the region of the Tagliamento and Piave rivers, located in northern Italy. The battle lasted for several months and held great military importance for both sides.

It's interesting that the knife has a history. What is your opinion about this knife?

knife Kampfmesser Modell 1917" with emblem MVSNknife Kampfmesser Modell 1917" with emblem MVSNknife Kampfmesser Modell 1917" with emblem MVSNknife Kampfmesser Modell 1917" with emblem MVSNknife Kampfmesser Modell 1917" with emblem MVSNknife Kampfmesser Modell 1917" with emblem MVSNknife Kampfmesser Modell 1917" with emblem MVSN

?

Great piece. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Nice "Sturmmesser", made by the manufacturer Winternitz.

The belt loop seems to be newer to me.
    It is known that the Italians also used this knife as a "loot weapon".

When all these additions were added to the knife is a matter of faith.

Hi everyone,
    I'm not an expert on blades, but without a doubt the "sturmmesser" has already been correctly identified by Reibert, and it is true that it represented a much appreciated war booty, in particular by the "Arditi", i.e. the assault units of the Italian Army, whose soldiers after the end of the war often went to reinforce the fascist squads that then merged into the MVSN; this could be a clue to the history of this dagger.
    As for the medal, I can add that it refers to the XIII Armata, a large unit of the Regio Esercito made up of the 25th -30th -31st Infantry Divisions, reinforced by Bersaglieri units.
    As you say, the names shown are areas where important battles took place between the Italian and Austro-Hungarian Armies, namely:
    PIAVE and TAGLIAMENTO: two rivers in northern Italy
    CARSO: plateau on the border between Italy and Slovenia and Croatia
    While, the name engraved on the back: "Sani", I think it refers to the Lieutenant General "Ugo Sani", commander of the XIII Armata between the end of 1917 and the spring of 1918; after the war he was Commander of the occupation troops of Northern Tyrol and then politician and Senator of the Kingdom of Italy.
    I hope I was helpful.

Regards
    Roberto

?

wow very interesting story, thanks for the info

Quote by OldSteel View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm not an expert on blades, but without a doubt the "sturmmesser" has already been correctly identified by Reibert, and it is true that it represented a much appreciated war booty, in particular by the "Arditi", i.e. the assault units of the Italian Army, whose soldiers after the end of the war often went to reinforce the fascist squads that then merged into the MVSN; this could be a clue to the history of this dagger.
    As for the medal, I can add that it refers to the XIII Armata, a large unit of the Regio Esercito made up of the 25th -30th -31st Infantry Divisions, reinforced by Bersaglieri units.
    As you say, the names shown are areas where important battles took place between the Italian and Austro-Hungarian Armies, namely:
    PIAVE and TAGLIAMENTO: two rivers in northern Italy
    CARSO: plateau on the border between Italy and Slovenia and Croatia
    While, the name engraved on the back: "Sani", I think it refers to the Lieutenant General "Ugo Sani", commander of the XIII Armata between the end of 1917 and the spring of 1918; after the war he was Commander of the occupation troops of Northern Tyrol and then politician and Senator of the Kingdom of Italy.
    I hope I was helpful.

Regards
    Roberto