Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My first Italian items: WW1 WW2 Medals and letter from Stalag 367. Handwriting help

Article about: Hello gentlemen, I got my first medals and a letter from the same Italian veteran of the 1st war and who fought in the 2nd as well. His name is Giuseppe Feruglio. I'll post pictures of the m

?

Default My first Italian items: WW1 WW2 Medals and letter from Stalag 367. Handwriting help

Hello gentlemen,

I got my first medals and a letter from the same Italian veteran of the 1st war and who fought in the 2nd as well. His name is Giuseppe Feruglio.

I'll post pictures of the medals and the letter as well. The letter was written at Stalag 367, which as far as I could see was in Poland, near Czechoslovakia.

I'm having a lot of trouble translating the handwritten message, if you could help me that would be great!

Does anyone also have tips for websites where I can look for information on Italian war veterans?

I appreciate any help and hope you enjoy the pieces.

My first Italian items: WW1 WW2 Medals and letter from Stalag 367. Handwriting helpMy first Italian items: WW1 WW2 Medals and letter from Stalag 367. Handwriting helpMy first Italian items: WW1 WW2 Medals and letter from Stalag 367. Handwriting help

Morning,
    to my knowledge, there are not many publicly accessible sources of information relating to veterans of the Italian armed forces of the world wars.
    But I found something, and I probably think that the person who wrote this letter could be: Colonel Giuseppe Feruglio, last Commander of the 9th Regiment "Lancieri di Firenze".
    This Cavalry unit was in Albania in 1943, following the armistice of 8 September 1943, after having tried to resist the German forces, it was disbanded and part of its soldiers were taken prisoner and sent to concentration camps.
    In the archives of the fallen of WW2, I found traces of the following soldier:
    Giuseppe Feruglio
    Born on 28 October 1893 in Udine (Italy)
    Fallen on 19 April 1945 in West German territories, but the burial place is not known
    My first Italian items: WW1 WW2 Medals and letter from Stalag 367. Handwriting help
    Also considering the age of this person, I think it is not a simple soldier, but it could be the Colonel in question, a WW1 veteran.
    As requested, I tried to translate the letter probably sent to his wife into English:
    "My Lisettina,
    I received your package, it contained the best I could wish for.
    Thanks also for the meditation book that will keep me excellent company.
    Still no news of Maria's parcels, not even Piero's letter has reached me.
    Write to me as often as you can - Avoid sending clothing - I'm only waiting for food.
    Remember me with everyone in the family.
    My dearest hugs to you and Francesca."

Regards
    Roberto

Hi, I found other information related to the story of this officer: after his stay in Stalag 367, he was transferred to another destination in Military District III Berlin-Lichterfelde South.
    From here he escaped, but was recaptured in Berlin and killed, had a first burial in the Neumarkt Stadtfriedhof cemetery (Germany) and subsequently moved to the Municipal Cemetery of Pordenone (Italy).
    I hope I was helpful.

Regards