Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Pact of steel medallion/Commemorating Hitler's visit to Italy actually

Article about: I wonder if anyone can supply any information regarding who this medallion was awarded to, how many were awarded etc. I couldn’t find another one for sale online anywhere & while I did

?

Default Pact of steel medallion/Commemorating Hitler's visit to Italy actually

I wonder if anyone can supply any information regarding who this medallion was awarded to, how many were awarded etc. I couldn’t find another one for sale online anywhere & while I did find information about who made it and what it represents, I couldn’t find any other information regarding it. It is bronze 2 3/4 inches diameter & weighs almost 7 ounces. I’ve never seen one before & as I say I can’t find one for sale anywhere. I will put the article I found regarding it below.
    Thank you for any and all comments
    Duzig(Bill)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pact of steel medallion/Commemorating Hitler's visit to Italy actually   Pact of steel medallion/Commemorating Hitler's visit to Italy actually  

?

The obverse is actually the second picture shown. Don't know why they posted that way. In any case here is the only information I've found about this item.
    Here is an excerpt from the article mentioning this medallion:

“In May 1938, Filippo Sgarlata minted a medallion in honor of Adolf Hitler’s state visit to Rome, Naples, and Florence. Its theme is triumph over a monstrous foe. On one side, a Winged Victory carries a swastika and a fascio littorio in her arms, flanked by the inscription Vis Unita Fortior (Power is Strengthened by Union). On the obverse, Hercules battles the three-headed dog, Cerberus. The capture of the Hellhound Cerberus, who guarded the gates of Hades, was the twelfth and most arduous task assigned to Hercules by Eurystheus. According to the myth, Hercules wrestled the dog, with its lion’s claws and serpents tail, into submission and dragged it out of Hades. Here, the Axis battles the forces of hell. Fascism’s enemy is a supernatural monster associated with the fires of hell. Cerberus is a hybrid of multiple animals and a monstrous freak of nature. But, fear not, the medallion guarantees, the Winged Victory of one side will triumph in the Herculean battle with the demons of Hell on the flip side. This representation of the enemy, targeted at an elite audience of party faithful, depends upon classical mythology and an aesthetic of Romanita` (Romaness). Romanita`, in fascist ideology and culture, was the celebration and emulation of the Roman Empire and the explicit connection between it and the fascist empire.45 As Rome had defeated the barbarians, so would its modern-day equivalent, fascist Italy.”
    There is also a picture of this medallion shown in that article.
    thanks for taking a look
    Duzig(Bill)

?

Great piece. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Rich, thank you for your comment. I've never seen one for sale. I thought it was quite a striking design. I only wish I could find out a little more about it as far as if it was something anyone could buy or how many were made etc. Other than that article I found which was on a page from Academia.edu I couldn't find anything else about it. I am glad I picked it up in any case. Thanks again
    Bill

?

If I saw it for sale I would buy it. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

?

Thanks again Rich for your comments. It's a nice addition to my other non-portables for sure.
    Bill