Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sun Helmet

Article about: This is my sun helmet. It's a bit rough, but I like it. I believe it's 8th heavy artillery or 8th Corps artillery.

Default Sun Helmet

This is my sun helmet. It's a bit rough, but I like it. I believe it's 8th heavy artillery or 8th Corps artillery.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sun Helmet   Sun Helmet  

MAP
    ?

Certainly looks like it has been there. Heavy wear and sun bleaching.

What is written on the inside. A list of locations/places? Is it from the Italian soldier or the Vet who brought it back?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It does have a list of locations.

Very nice indeed! First type pith helmet, and the goggles are correct (pinkish rubber). The wrinting are in Italian, including locations in Italy and Lybia, look like a "war diary" summary of the owner.
    It is not very readable, at least from my phone screen. Could you take some more pics?

Default sunhelmet

pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sun Helmet   Sun Helmet  

Sun Helmet   Sun Helmet  

Sun Helmet   Sun Helmet  

MAP
    ?

Wow. Didn't see that in the outside

Fantastic
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Very interesting. There are motto’s and Lybian locations, starting and ending in Italy: a kind of service tour record. He belonged to a corporal, born in 1910 (classe 1910), so I guess he spent some years there in the late 30’s, before WW2 (no places outside Lybia, nor famous WW2 battlefield names). After his duty tour he kept the cap as souvenir, writing and drawing on it some war memories. As a side note, “classe di ferro” (iron class) means that the people born in 1910 were the best, the strongest, etc. But every “class” under military duty depicted himself in the same way... and this was quite common till recent years, when military duty was compulsive. This is a pic of the lungomare Conte Volpi at that time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sun Helmet  

Wow! Thank you for all the information. I love it even more now.

Hello Paul,
    really great piece, if it can help I'll give you some information:
    Analyzing the badge, I think that its owner was a soldier of the "8th Raggruppamento Artiglieria di Corpo D'Armata", this unit arrived in North Africa in October 1941, organized within the "XXI Corpo D'Armata".
    It participated in the main battles and also in the Second Battle of El Alamein, subsequently in the first months of 1943 the unit was disbanded in Tunisia.
    The following Groups belonged to the "8th Raggruppamento":
    -XXXIII Heavy Field Artillery Group
    Cannons: Ansaldo Mod. 35 149/40

-LII Heavy Field Artillery Group
    Cannons: Skoda 152/37

-CXXXI Heavy Field Artillery Group
    Cannons: 15 cm Krupp / Rheinmetall-Borsig sFH 18

Regards
    Roberto

Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast