Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SA buckles

Article about: Good evening all, Two SA buckles I recently added to my collection. SA buckles as a separate field of collecting was completely new to me but after two weeks of reading through threads and l

?

Thanks once again David. Just thinking out of the box a bit, did Overhoff & Cie perhaps have more than one SA roundel? I do not have that many SA examples but I'll look thru my Eagles and see if I have anything like the 2nd buckle. As you mention, perhaps others can review their collections etc. Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA buckles
    P
    Many

Nice pair, my junk sun wheel looks similar to the OP's one? just throwing in one of my Chooks sorry

Quote by weller View Post
    ...did Overhoff & Cie perhaps have more than one SA roundel?...
    A good question Jeff and which I am unable to answer.

As you know, for the period of say the mid 1920’s to the mid 1930’s, there was a surprisingly high degree of inter trading between some manufactures and which percolated down to the cottage industry assemblers and finishers. Here was the sale of complete buckles and more importantly buckle components, although many buckles were designed, manufactured in toto and distributed, by a single company.

This subject has been discussed goodness knows how times within the Forum and it remains for myself at least, a deep although immensely interesting enigma.

With this in mind and for myself, it is a buttock clenching moment when I see some collectors confidently and unequivocally identify the maker of an unmarked buckle, allegedly by the type of claws, pin shroud, catch, fabrication and tool marks, et al.

I like to see a makers mark of some sort and for Overhoff & Cie., whilst I suspect that some unmarked SA buckles I am familiar with are from this company, it is impossible to say. An excessive degree of timidity I suppose, however I think that adopting a suggestion rather than questionably appearing definitive, is the correct approach.

For Overhoff & Cie., I am only aware of two eagle designs and here is the caveat, from buckles which are clearly Overhoff marked. The photo merge shows the two, although I am sure that “others” are lurking in collections.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Nice pair, my junk sun wheel looks similar to the OP's one? just throwing in one of my Chooks sorry
    Nice one René! Had to look up chook but all clear

Thank you David. Now it was much easier to spot the differences.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3