Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SA Danzig for Review

Article about: Thanks for the extra photos. I think you would get more reviews from the buckle guys and SA experts if you also posted all photos in a new and separate thread in the 'SA buckles NSKK and NSF

Quote by CRAZYCAT View Post
    I have her too, if I can get some info.

Gas Pistol ss M33 serial XX

I but in which section for info?
    You can make new thread to this section:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world-firearms/
    -TJ-

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Danzig for Review
    P
    Many

As Kirby has quite rightly said and towards which I completely agree, “…this is a buckle you can never be 100% sure of being original…”.

It is however an interesting buckle and I fully understand why rightly or wrongly, it now has a Danzig connection.

In mid 1939, the Verstärkter Grenzaufsichtsdienst (VGAD) was formed and to be perfectly honest, this is a subject per se, which really does not interest me. My notes on the organisation are sorely lacking and with this in mind, I would greatly appreciate any Forum member with a detailed knowledge of the VGAD, to chip in and correct my undoubtably numerous errors.

It is my understanding that the VGAD was formed by, although not exclusively so, from members of two SA Standarten, which were under the auspice of a single Brigade and all, being within SA Gruppe Danzig-Westpreußen.

The VGAD were a Customs controlled border guard, being responsible for the patrol, protection and defence of the borders to Freistaat Danzig. As a minor side note, I think that the VGAD were involved with the combat actions of the Landespolizei Danzig whilst under the command of Sonderverband Danzig, aka Gruppe or Brigade Eberhardt, or whatever they called themselves.

Initially, the VGAD wore traditional SA uniforms, however a more military style was later adopted, however I am blissfully unaware as to the organisational cut of their jacket. A distinctive collar patch was worn and furthermore, a cuff title as “Grenzwache”.

The collar patch (right side of the wearer) displayed a 30mm diameter (approximately) stamped metal SA symbol set on a rectangular patch and I think that the collar patch colours were predominantly red and black.

Interestingly, the SA symbol had origins from a competition organised by the SA High Command in 1929. The symbol is quite simple really as essentially, conjoined Sig (S) and Ar (A) Runes, all of course with a little artistic license.

The buckle that started this thread is again interesting and I must admit that I like it and primarily due to the distinct brass box. This is an early and rare brass box which has slightly rounded side walls and is known on early SA buckles. This is the first time I have seen this feature on one of these so called SA Danzig buckles, although it is the first time that I have seen that exact and particular style of the affixed SA symbol.

In my opinion, it is unlikely that this buckle had an association with the mid 1939 formed VGAD, although possibly of course, as traditional SA uniforms were initially worn until a more military style tunic was adopted. I am more inclined to think that a box buckle which displayed an SA emblem, could have been worn by SA men in the first few years of the 1930’s.

Again as Kirby has quite rightly said, “…this is a buckle you can never be 100% sure of being original…”.

Attached is an extremely well known image of a VGAD member and it would appear that he is wearing a new and not yet coloured leather strap, with a buckle which is difficult to identify. A portion of the “Grenzwache” cuff title can bee see and the chap is even wearing his Gau Danzig “Old Fighters” commemorative badge which I think was instituted only a few months before the establishment of the VGAD.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Great information David, as always. I especially like the very interesting photo you provided, not one I've seen. As a Mauser collector the rifle is of interest to me. I have a mid 1930's conversion rifle. Do not see these much, and yes I do shoot it.

Gew 98 - Danzig 1915 - S/42K

Very interesting that the buckle in the photo appears different than the buckle being reviewed here.

Thankyou for your comments Jeff, however really, my ramblings have not even scratched the surface towards matters relating to the VGAD. An elementary primer, as simply no more and no less. The photograph is from a period publication and where the chap is clearly described as SA and not VGAD. I have always thought that this was a posed propaganda image and for many reasons, however it really matters not as it provides some excellent uniform detail.

I have followed your Gew. 98 Danzig link and many thanks. Quite simply, I did not recognise what was slung over this chaps shoulder and Mea Culpa. A good read in relation to a subject that I will now explore further and which lead me to this:-

Gew 88, Danzig

My apologies if you are already aware of this past thread.

For the buckle shown on the subject image, I totally agree with what you have said. Possibly the wearing of a brand new and still natural colour leather strap and without any ammunition pouches I should add, despite being on active watch and patrolling duties. Perhaps this was normal? The buckle is difficult to identify from the low resolution image, however I would take a knuckle dragging guess at a steel and light paint colour, Wehrmacht-Heer.

Regards and best wishes,

David

A big thank you David North, for your information, I see that you are a passionate, a very big thank you for your mine of information,
    Well done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2