Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA in zinc

Article about: Hello, i'm visit a small fair in germany . The offers were sparse and expensive but i found something interest . This SA buckle looks like made by Overhoff . The box is nickelsilver and zinc

Default SA in zinc

Hello,

i'm visit a small fair in germany .

The offers were sparse and expensive but i found something interest .

This SA buckle looks like made by Overhoff . The box is nickelsilver and zinc coated .

The roundel is 100% made of zink .

For me it looks genuin and than i bought it for a fair price :

SA in zincSA in zinc
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

special SA/NSKK/NSFK with maker marks

Link to my collection : http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=1175

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA in zinc
    P
    Many

?

Looks original. How can you tell the roundel is zinc?

Hello Kirby,,

It looks like 100% zinc on frontside and also i have a look in the catch on backside with light ......
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

Dear Markus,

This is an interesting SA buckle, however I wonder, are you able to provide some images of the same in natural light ?

“Zinc appearance” type SA buckles do of course exist, however and as you know, applying zinc to nickle silver may have an adverse effect, insofar as it is capable of attacking the nickle and copper components. Zinc is mainly applied to form an anti corrosion barrier and as such, this is not really necessary in relation to nickle silver.

Perhaps we are simply looking at a change of appearance here with a paint solution that coincidentally, has the colour of zinc (whatever that is) ?

An interesting SA buckle though.

Thankyou in anticipation and regards and best wishes,

David

Dear David,
    i 'm in holydays in Italy..
    When i come home, i will take new pictures.
    I don' t know the sens but this buckle box is nickelsilver and not pianted !
    It is 100% zinc coated. The Roundel is 100% zinc.
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

Nice buckle, typical Overhoff eagle and prongs, will be interesting to hear the outcome of the material its made from
    Ben

Quote by yellow12 View Post
    Dear David,
    i 'm in holydays in Italy..
    When i come home, i will take new pictures.
    I don' t know the sens but this buckle box is nickelsilver and not pianted !
    It is 100% zinc coated. The Roundel is 100% zinc.
    Dear Markus,

Many thanks for your response and especially so, bearing in mind that you are on holiday.

Daylight images of the said SA buckle would be greatly appreciated and when time permits. I like this buckle by the way and I find the surface coating extremely interesting, hence the request for new images.

What I cannot get to grips with is the feature of zinc on nickle silver. Zinc coating is not a simple process and from memory, is undertaken (on ferrous metals I always thought), either by hot dip galvanising or electro galvanising. With this in mind, we could be looking at a zinc phosphate coating which is a relatively simple process and can be applied to non ferrous metals, such as nickle silver. A phosphate finish does however and by a casual glance resemble paint, so there is another theory knocked on the head !

Do we have a Metallurgist in the house ?

Regards and best wishes,

David

Quote by David North View Post
    Dear Markus,

Many thanks for your response and especially so, bearing in mind that you are on holiday.

Daylight images of the said SA buckle would be greatly appreciated and when time permits. I like this buckle by the way and I find the surface coating extremely interesting, hence the request for new images.

What I cannot get to grips with is the feature of zinc on nickle silver. Zinc coating is not a simple process and from memory, is undertaken (on ferrous metals I always thought), either by hot dip galvanising or electro galvanising. With this in mind, we could be looking at a zinc phosphate coating which is a relatively simple process and can be applied to non ferrous metals, such as nickle silver. A phosphate finish does however and by a casual glance resemble paint, so there is another theory knocked on the head !

Do we have a Metallurgist in the house ?

Regards and best wishes,

David
    Hello David,

I am a mechanic myself and a metal expert.

When i at home next week i will take new

picturs in detail.
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

Hello,

must say sorry for the long time but here now new pictures :

SA in zincSA in zincSA in zincSA in zincSA in zinc
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

Very interesting buckle Markus.
    I have never seen anything like it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast