Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Sunwheel Swastika Ugly Claw SA buckle

Article about: New in my collection, this Sunwheel Swastika Ugly Claw SA buckle, to accompany his mobile swas brother

Default Sunwheel Swastika Ugly Claw SA buckle

New in my collection, this Sunwheel Swastika Ugly Claw SA buckle, to accompany his mobile swas brother

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sunwheel Swastika Ugly Claw SA buckle
    P
    Many

Very nice Ivan, great addition
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Very nice Ivan, great addition
    I'll second that.

Hello Ivàn,

A great example of a distinct “sun wheel swastika” SA buckle, with the distinction of course being due to the stylised and slightly eccentric eagle by design, coupled of course with the integral pin shroud and claws arrangement. I have never been overly comfortable with the sobriquet of “ugly claws” and much prefer “crude claws”. Quite simply, I do not think that they are remotely ugly, however beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They are however and without wishing to confirm the blindingly obvious, crude!

Have you noticed the small clipped out section from the lower ear of the box?

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

KUDDOS, to you.

Quote by David North View Post
    Hello Ivàn,

A great example of a distinct “sun wheel swastika” SA buckle, with the distinction of course being due to the stylised and slightly eccentric eagle by design, coupled of course with the integral pin shroud and claws arrangement. I have never been overly comfortable with the sobriquet of “ugly claws” and much prefer “crude claws”. Quite simply, I do not think that they are remotely ugly, however beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They are however and without wishing to confirm the blindingly obvious, crude!

Have you noticed the small clipped out section from the lower ear of the box?

Regards and best wishes,

David
    Thanks David for your input and for your good eye, really I hadn't noticed the clipped ear

Best regards

Iván

Dear Iván,

Many thanks for submitting the additional images.

Every set of crude cast claws which supports this family of buckles is and in one way or another, quite different from each other.

The boxes however seem to be reasonably consistent in form by the quite elegant ears and furthermore, the ramped half moon catch.

The clipped ear on the SA buckle that you have shown is undoubtedly period and in my opinion, adds to the character. Why the buckle displays such an interesting feature is quite beyond me. It could be by a first casual glance, suggested to be a modification which allows the easy insertion and removal of the pin shroud. As we now by the countless other box buckles which feature within the Forum, this is simply not necessary. Perhaps a factory forming error, however the fact that the clip is dead centre to the pin shroud is intriguing to say the least.

Regards and best wishes,

David