Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The real deal ? RMZ 155/40 SS

Article about: Greetings from the North of England. How is everyone ? I was wondering if the 'pro's' could come to the rescue. I have recently acquired a German belt & buckle and I was wondering if som

Default The real deal ? RMZ 155/40 SS

Greetings from the North of England.

How is everyone ?

I was wondering if the 'pro's' could come to the rescue. I have recently acquired a German belt & buckle and I was wondering if someone could help verify its authenticity. I was told that it was 'the real deal' yet you can never be 100% in this day and age.
    The previous owner informed me that his grandfather took the belt from an SS soldier during the war and then initialed so none of his comrades would steal it. - See marking 'A.H' to the underside of the leather. I asked the gentleman if he knew where he was based in Germany yet he was unable to confirm as his grandfather passed away when he was 14. I took his word and we parted on that note.

Here is some information that I have managed to gather on the buckle, including markings / stamps etc.

Buckle
    The buckle has markings RMZ 155/40 (SS?) -Lightning bolts within two rings? - It is quite light in weight - approx 48g - As for the material - I gather the coating has been worn away ? It certainly has that 'aged' look ...........

Belt
    The end of the belt is embossed 90 - I assume this is the size in cm ? (As it measures) - It is quite a thick leather hide and there are signs of wear, certainly around the button holes , again under this piece of leather where the claws have marked the underside of the belt. There is also a nice overall patina which would suggest it has had use. I'm also under the impression that they were all hand stitched going on the uneven threading. Or were they all like that... (Initials as above marked A.H. -Marked by British soldier 'Grandfather')

Weight of belt approx - 207g - Width - Just under 4.5 cm - Girth - Approx 0.4cm.

There also seems to be some lettering on the belt clip - CC? It's difficult to see. Perhaps you can tell me more...

I look forward to hearing all of your comments. Sorry to ramble on. I did check the forum for similar items to compare prior the message - which were all fantastic for future reference. For peace of mind I wanted to check to be 100% that this was correct before proceeding . I really appreciate your time.

All the best. Gil.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The real deal ?  RMZ 155/40 SS   The real deal ?  RMZ 155/40 SS  

The real deal ?  RMZ 155/40 SS   The real deal ?  RMZ 155/40 SS  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The real deal ?  RMZ 155/40 SS
    P
    Many

Apologies. It should read - ** RZM **

Original Assmann buckle, also the belt with Overhoff marked hook is good

?

Nice been there original.

Well that has just made my day! Thank you for verifying .

I had a sudden brainstorm - I have the gentleman's contact information. I really should ask for his grandfathers name!! I mean his initials are plain as day ... If the tale is true , maybe it will be enough to go on , as to where this may have really been "acquired" .

Do you happen to know what is it made from and perhaps a rough value?

Thanks again .

Regards . Gil .

Hi Gil and welcome to the forum, nice buckle and belt mate, nowt wrong with either of them
    Ben

Hi Ben , nice to you.

I really took a gamble here if I'm honest . I'm glad it paid off .

I deal in the odd piece of militaria, although still learning by the day it seems. I will be sure to call back to share my latest finds.

I currently have a few pieces via the eBay site. Mainly WW2 era if anyone should care to want to check out. 15,000 items sold to date & 100% feedback -

If anyone cares to follow me on Instagram you can find me at retrovintagelove_ / Twitter at RetroVtgLove . I post regularly with latest finds of the day. I'm currently in the middle of restoring a pair of WW2 Paratrooper boots with original studded soles and broad arrow mark. -Do call in!

Warm Regards. Gil .
    Last edited by rbminis; 11-20-2015 at 01:51 AM.

Note - that wasn't an intentional plug, I promise . Just getting the word out that .

- - ------- - -

There ***

?

Nice one

I contacted the previous owner to get his grandfathers name (who picked up the belt - Initials A.H on belt ) and he gave me - Alfred Hudson. He was unable to give me any further information unfortunately.

Would anyone care to help me look for his army records? Or is there a specific thread or site I can use to help me?

Regards, Gil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast