Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS EM Buckle year of manufacture timeline

Article about: Gents I am going to try and decipher and list what SS buckles were made and in what year and by who. I am going to try and do this with the RZM info that we have been given by Wim and known

Also from Wim Saris

"Also Assmann was an early manufacturer, anyway 1933.
    It is shown in a leaflet style catalogue with only buckles
    as article-number: 21294/45 mm ges.gesch.

The Haunstein was mentioned to be matt (1001a"
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS EM Buckle year of manufacture timeline
    P
    Many

Thanks Ben. Does not get better than that. Will take this list with me for reference.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Thanks Ben. Does not get better than that. Will take this list with me for reference.
    Please read carefully, some of this is factual reference taken from period documents provided and translated by Wim Saris, some of it is taking known information and using common sense to put it into a timeline. Some info is guesswork again having knowledge of when makers produces buckles etc (ie RODO)
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Please read carefully, some of this is factual reference taken from period documents provided and translated by Wim Saris, some of it is taking known information and using common sense to put it into a timeline. Some info is guesswork again having knowledge of when makers produces buckles etc (ie RODO)
    I understand.
    Thanks again, David

A great informative thread,thanks for starting it!

?

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Gents

I am going to try and decipher and list what SS buckles were made and in what year and by who. I am going to try and do this with the RZM info that we have been given by Wim and known history of the rise of the SS. This is going to be some guess work on the early buckles and I will try and justify each year as the thread progresses. It will also be an on going educational thread as we learn more from possible input from other parties.

I am going to start here in 1932. We know that Himmler took control of the SS from the SA on the 06th Jan 1929. There is no evidence that at that time they started wearing SS buckles. The SS motto "Meine Ehre heißt Treue" does not appear until April 1931. With that I doubt that buckles would have appeared straight away as I believe a design would have to have been made and approved which would have taken some time. From that we have to conclude that a date of 1932 could be the first date for SS buckles as it is mentioned in the RZM setup information thread in which Wim Saris was so kind as to translate extracts from original German period manuscripts.
    "Late 1931: this specifically is an order from December 7, 1931 (“Verordnungsblatt der Reichsleitung der NSDAP”,
    further as “Vbl.RL”. Nr. 14 from December 31, 1931, as well as “Verordnungsblatt der Obersten SA-Führung”, further as
    “Vbl.OSAF”, nr. 6 from January 26, 1932) and related to insignia. Names were mentioned, as well as logo’s (Warenzeichen).
    With all ges. gesch (gesetzlich geschützt) was to be included (for example O&C ges.gesch for the new nickel-silver SS-buckle –
    “Vbl.OSAF”, nr.6 ). The use of this procedure was anyway still mentioned with a November 15, 1932-order and lasted until
    the fall of 1933"
    If we take this as official information it seems that from Jan 1932 to the fall of 1933 this was the standard for SS buckles. Overhoff and Cie is mentioned officially but there is nothing written as to other early nickel buckles being made at this time.

Overhoff & Cie

Nickel Overhoff & Cie full title makers mark near wing
    Nickel Overhoff & Cie full title makers mark away from wing
    Nickel Overhoff & Cie full title erased motto
    Nickel O & C ges gesch
    Nickel O & Cie ges gesch
    Nickel O & Cie ges gesch with capital G
    Nickel O & Cie ges gesch with capital G (square lettering)
    Nickel O & Cie ges gesch with name ground off
    Nickel O & C ges gesch DRGM

This is a start, information could be wrong but from the info currently provided its a starting point

Hello Ben - hope all is well! I do not see the O&C ges gesch RZM variant listed here. Photo attached.

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS EM Buckle year of manufacture timeline  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2