Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SS EM RODO Original v Fake

Article about: Ben, After looking at your examples, I feel that mine is probably OK, but would like your "blessing" as well; I bought it several years ago from some unlikely-looking sellers at ou

After the mess generated by the Military Advisor article I wanted to post in this Forum a similar thread as that one RODO SS: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums but I realized there was no need. Ben already did an excellent job and many pictures of fake RODO's I used for the above thread were found here anyway.
    So, please allow me to just add few things to complete this one.

Type 2 of an original RODO SS buckle since there is two variants known as originals: In 2005 i found evidence of the second variant and named it Type 2. Reason been since I believe the Type 2 was produced after the Type 1 due to the blue-green shade of the paint found on most Type 2 which is typical of very late war paint (but note there is also very few Type 1 with that blue-green paint).SS EM RODO Original v FakeSS EM RODO Original v FakeSS EM RODO Original v Fake

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS EM RODO Original v Fake
    P
    Many

Obvious difference between Type 1 and Type 2 is the rope we can see under the eagle's beak on Type 2 attesting a different die. This is not a feature found on any V chest fakeSS EM RODO Original v FakeSS EM RODO Original v Fake

Then the latest attempt to duplicate an original RODO. For it, fakers were using a new die which was very convincing to duplicate Assmann SS buckles. Such fake die is still in use today to stamp fake 155/40's and fake 155/43's but not many fake RODO's.

Even if such fake buckle is not pictured in the Military Advisor article (in the Military Advisor article there is only V chest fakes) I still feel it is interesting for the collector to be aware of its existence.SS EM RODO Original v FakeSS EM RODO Original v FakeSS EM RODO Original v FakeSS EM RODO Original v FakeSS EM RODO Original v FakeSS EM RODO Original v FakeSS EM RODO Original v Fake

And to finish sizes in Millimetres of an original (fakes are different as of today). I used a Type 1.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS EM RODO Original v Fake   SS EM RODO Original v Fake  

?

I just have to laugh & shake my head on this new post from him...note his definitions of the FORUM & COLLECTORS. I was raised better than to engage but man I am telling you it is pretty tough not to want to knock the chip and other stuff off this dusty bag of wind.

AD ROYSTER MILITARIA
    Spotting The Fakes And Forgeries
    NEWSLETTER JUNE 1, 2016 NO. 199
    NEWSLETTER JUNE 1, 2016 NO. 199
    June 1, 2016 AD Royster Comments 0 Comment

Collector’s Glossary
    Here is a compendium of terms designed to assist the collecting world make determinations when wishing to purchase items for their collections:

Prototype Non-existent creative invention

Genuine “…well, it is a….isn’t it?”

Genuine original quality Just like they used to make them years ago

Contemporary copy Just finished making them last month

Official Made just like the regulations called for

Prominent collector Gullible sucker with money

Knowledgeable collectors My friends and customers

Letters of authenticity Something intended to convince of pre-1945 origin

References or Reference Books Recently written publications that authenticates fakes

Expert Your favorite dealer or an author of a “reference book.”

Authority Author of three reference books

Collector Average boob with modest means

Replacement A fake copy

Museum replica Carefully made fake intended to deceive

Authenticated A approval of a fake item given by an ‘expert’

Research project Reference book of fantasy creations intended to deceive

Investment quality More polish to the fake and fewer flaws

Late war production Crude copy

Genuine Damascus An acid-etched item such as a dagger or sword

Second pattern Badly flawed counterfeit

Lifetime guarantee Good for fifteen minutes after receipt by sucker

My personal collection Made in India

Forum The blind leading the blind

Rare item We have a box full under the table
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Quote by Jean Pierre Redeuilh View Post
    Obvious difference between Type 1 and Type 2 is the rope we can see under the eagle's beak on Type 2 attesting a different die. This is not a feature found on any V chest fakeSS EM RODO Original v FakeSS EM RODO Original v Fake
    Been looking at many buckles and found this RODO that appears to be good. But looking close the eye seems to be different than those posted here and else where. Were the more than 2 types (dies) as Jean Pierre Redeuilh points out above?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS EM RODO Original v Fake   SS EM RODO Original v Fake  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3