Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Waffen SS Nickel Belt buckle GZM M/131

Article about: Hello everyone, I am fairly new to the Forum and I hope this thread is in the correct place. I recently saw here a 5 year old thread posted by Ben Evans.....it was about a nickel SS belt buc

Quote by kirby View Post
    ...I did not mean this specific buckle...
    I clearly misunderstood you and for this, please accept my apologies.

Regards and best wishes,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen SS Nickel Belt buckle GZM M/131
    P
    Many

Quote by David North View Post
    It is worth remembering that the manufacturing of nickle silver SS buckles was discontinued around 1936.
    David
    Only for manufacture using german nickel silver plates. Poland was not incorporated to the Reich before at least September 1939

Dear Jean-Pierre,

It is good to hear from you after such a long time and many thanks for chipping in here.

Poland was indeed invaded by the Germans on the 1st September 1939 and I think that in less than a fortnight, the “Generalgouvernement…” was formed. Having said that and rightly or wrongly (more than likely the latter), I have never considered the family of SS buckles being discussed here as having a Polish heritage. Instead, originating from Danzig/Gdańsk which in the 1930’s enjoyed a very special and mutually agreeable relationship with Germany.

As we all know and following the Great War, the LoN declared Danzig as a “Freistaat” and the history of “Freistaat Danzig” in the 1920’s and 1930”s is extremely well documented and makes interesting reading. Although physically detached from Germany, by the mid to late 1930’s, well over 90% of the population was ethnic German, the majority who openly supported the NSDAP. As almost a microcosm of the III Reich, I had always assumed that “Freistaat Danzig” mirrored in many ways the day to day German way of life with the inclusion of working industries to include buckle manufacturers and furthermore, supported the active presence and activities of NSDAP organisations, to include the SS.

Just thinking aloud here.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Quote by David North View Post
    I have never considered the family of SS buckles being discussed here as having a Polish heritage. Instead, originating from Danzig/Gdańsk which in the 1930’s enjoyed a very special and mutually agreeable relationship with Germany.

As we all know and following the Great War, the LoN declared Danzig as a “Freistaat” and the history of “Freistaat Danzig” in the 1920’s and 1930”s is extremely well documented and makes interesting reading. Although physically detached from Germany, by the mid to late 1930’s, well over 90% of the population was ethnic German, the majority who openly supported the NSDAP. As almost a microcosm of the III Reich, I had always assumed that “Freistaat Danzig” mirrored in many ways the day to day German way of life with the inclusion of working industries to include buckle manufacturers and furthermore, supported the active presence and activities of NSDAP organisations, to include the SS.

SS Buckles to collect: The ultimate list

Indeed partially correct. Still from 1920 to 1939 Freistaat-Danzig was not part of the Reich but was under the League of Nations protection. So anything produced from local stock did not have to comply with limitations dictated for German stock only. GZM marked buckles (SS, HJ, DJ...) or any GZM marked item was not made in the Reich to be sent to ethnic Germans but made locally for local distribution to local Nazis organizations.

Quote by Jean Pierre Redeuilh View Post
    Indeed partially correct. Still from 1920 to 1939 Freistaat-Danzig was not part of the Reich but was under the League of Nations protection. So anything produced from local stock did not have to comply with limitations dictated for German stock only. GZM marked buckles (SS, HJ, DJ...) or any GZM marked item was not made in the Reich to be sent to ethnic Germans but made locally for local distribution to local Nazis organizations.
    Many thanks for your response Jean-Pierre and which has been read with interest.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2