Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Authentic German?

Article about: Thinking about buying this, happen to share a name so it would be a neat addition. Any issues with the name or decal?

With it being what looks like a KIA helmet (We've all seen the photos of the gentleman with a pickaxe and the helmets) and the naming + rank, it's possible that the Volksbund entry is him, but even so, it's always impossible to be 100% sure. Millions and Millions of men passed through the ranks of the Heer, and there's a chance there would have been another Werner Noll who was a Uffz at one time or another.

I'd be pretty convinced with the evidence provided thus far, but again, one can never be 100% in life with anything, unless its death and taxes. The icing would be the location in which it was found and if it corresponded with his Todesnort, but that information is likely lost.

With the history behind it it's one I'd have in my collection, although grisly, but keep in mind, as Danmark stated, the liner may not be it's original (the damage to the liner does look like it corresponds to the shell's damage though? Anyone else see that?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authentic German?
    P
    Many

Quote by steelspy5 View Post
    Here is the evidence, you decide.
    Attachment 1412950Attachment 1412951
    Without a first name and a feldpost number it is not simply do a volksbund look up. What prove is there that it is Werner and not Gunther. Was the soldier wearing the helmet ?
    Who says he got killed ?
    Other than the last name you have nothing to go on. I can look up all my named helmets in the KIA archive and find a hit.
    So no you cannot claim this is the soldier that wore that helmet.

Quote by HetzersGonnaHetz View Post
    With it being what looks like a KIA helmet (We've all seen the photos of the gentleman with a pickaxe and the helmets) and the naming + rank, it's possible that the Volksbund entry is him, but even so, it's always impossible to be 100% sure. Millions and Millions of men passed through the ranks of the Heer, and there's a chance there would have been another Werner Noll who was a Uffz at one time or another.

I'd be pretty convinced with the evidence provided thus far, but again, one can never be 100% in life with anything, unless its death and taxes. The icing would be the location in which it was found and if it corresponded with his Todesnort, but that information is likely lost.

With the history behind it it's one I'd have in my collection, although grisly, but keep in mind, as Danmark stated, the liner may not be it's original (the damage to the liner does look like it corresponds to the shell's damage though? Anyone else see that?
    I agree completely and as said above "buy the item not the story".

Whilst not as prolific as names like Schmidt of Hoffman etc Noll is not the rarest German surname and is actually quite widespread in both Germany and Austria where the chap in the record was born.

Without bombproof provenance the matter will forever be totally subjective.

This is a relic albeit quite a good example of the category. The "history" if you wish to call it that may be intriguing but it should never be considered a positive factor in acquisition. It could be the same man but it might not. It is your choice how you view that but it cannot have any real bearing on the artifact itself.

You might be able to investigate further and show that it is very unlikely to be anyone else other than your man but that will still not be 100% and could be very hard going.

It's a nice conversation piece and can certainly provoke the imagination but proven history? Not to me.

Thanks for showing and if you do buy it then more pics would be welcome.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-23-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Without a first name and a feldpost number it is not simply do a volksbund look up. What prove is there that it is Werner and not Gunther. Was the soldier wearing the helmet ?
    Who says he got killed ?
    Other than the last name you have nothing to go on. I can look up all my named helmets in the KIA archive and find a hit.
    So no you cannot claim this is the soldier that wore that helmet.
    I knew Gunther.... Its not him. Besides Gunther was in the Luftshutz anyway

But Friend if you like the helmet. Get it It is WW2 Era German manufacture indeed. Just keep in mind that it has been "messed with" as Dan pointed out. Depends on what kinda helms you want on your shelf
    Z

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2