Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Battle damaged helmet opinions - not everyone's cup of tea

Article about: Hi guys, Been looking at this helmet and would like some opinions on its authenticity with a view to buying. I do understand however that this is possibly a KIA or WIA and due to either grap

Default Battle damaged helmet opinions - not everyone's cup of tea

Hi guys,
    Been looking at this helmet and would like some opinions on its authenticity with a view to buying. I do understand however that this is possibly a KIA or WIA and due to either graphic or moral issues I understand if this thread needs removing.

The listing states it as below

Good complete battle field pick up combat helmet. Small calibre bullet strikes which have come from the inside and have impacted on the shell with resulting outward dents, most likely from a pistol. Corresponding holes to liner. Also another bullet strike to the outside below the right air vent. Evidence of blood in the liner.
    Liner leather good, full length chinstrap.Owners name in Gothic script to rear apron "Reimer".
    Large size 66. Codes partly obscured by name.
    Superb " Been There" helmet

Please also see pictures, Apologies for the quality (from sellers website)

Thanks in advance

Andre
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Battle damaged helmet opinions - not everyone's cup of tea   Battle damaged helmet opinions - not everyone's cup of tea  

Battle damaged helmet opinions - not everyone's cup of tea   Battle damaged helmet opinions - not everyone's cup of tea  

Attached Images Attached Images Battle damaged helmet opinions - not everyone's cup of tea  Battle damaged helmet opinions - not everyone's cup of tea 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle damaged helmet opinions - not everyone's cup of tea
    P
    Many

Sorry, IMO, a target helmet. Why would you have to shoot somebody 3 times in the head to kill him?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Sorry, IMO, a target helmet. Why would you have to shoot somebody 3 times in the head to kill him?
    Ralph.
    machine gun? also, it seems this helmet has some blood traces nex to the side of impact

Hi, whilst in some respects I think this is a hard one to call, I would be seriously considering the fact that the same calibre "dings" are evident from the opposite direction on the outside of the shell? The inner staining may well be from genuine blood damage, but as Ralph notes, the overall appearance just does not sit right to me. Leon.

Quote by vonbrugge View Post
    machine gun? also, it seems this helmet has some blood traces nex to the side of impact
    Actually, the so called "blood traces" are on the opposite side as the outward dents. If a bullet exited the head on the side where the dents go out, there would certainly be blood traces and likely liner damage there.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Actually, the so called "blood traces" are on the opposite side as the outward dents. If a bullet exited the head on the side where the dents go out, there would certainly be blood traces and likely liner damage there.
    Ralph.
    Exactly! A bit of a "play" going on for my liking. Seems like it was a genuine blood damaged lid that has been shot at post war. Leon.

CBH
    ?

It looks like .22 rifle hits , a big bore .30 FMJ round would go right through one side if not both .

Quote by CBH View Post
    It looks like .22 rifle hits , a big bore .30 FMJ round would go right through one side if not both .
    Exactly, full size rifle rounds would pass through both sides!...

Thanks all for the replies, I thought the same about the dents not holes but thought I would get better opinions, I think I'll pass on this one.

CBH
    ?

Good idea , it's too bad this helmet was ruined . Probably put on a fencepost and plinked at with a .22 rifle after the war , too bad .