Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

cKL66 5475

Article about: Hi I originally posted this M42 in the restoration and refurb. section but as it received no comment I have added more photos here. It was stripped to remove 2 layers of black paint.I added

?

Default cKL66 5475

Hi I originally posted this M42 in the restoration and refurb. section but as it received no comment I have added more photos
    here.
    It was stripped to remove 2 layers of black paint.I added repro liner and pins before deciding to repost here.
    The underlying brown paint appears original to me and bearing in mind the rarity of this colour I present it again.
    I know this pales in comparison to the examples Helmet2id has,but wish to put what I believe to be Factory paint on record
    here.
    I will add the link to my original post.
    Thanks for any comments.I will also try to add a few photos pre liner installation.
    Kateri
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture cKL66 5475   cKL66 5475  

cKL66 5475   cKL66 5475  

cKL66 5475   cKL66 5475  

cKL66 5475   cKL66 5475  

cKL66 5475   cKL66 5475  

cKL66 5475  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement cKL66 5475
    P
    Many

?

Extra photos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture cKL66 5475   cKL66 5475  

cKL66 5475  

There is a reason why there is a separate reproduction forum , most here like their items untouched and are just not interested in seeing Frankenstein creations hence the split in forums so each can enjoy its own.
    Looks so much better without the poor quality repro liner.
    Leaving things as they are found is always the better option.

Hello Kateri,

IMO the paint is not original and what you are seeing is the bare metal surface which has been stripped back and probably painted black for other purposes i.e. a bikie helmet or attempt at faking an SS lid.

The most likely reason that you have received little interest in the former post is that most members are here to admire and learn - not much of either to be done with this lid.

I agree with Frank in regards to leaving as is, IMO - the condition that it finished the war in is its “original” condition.

Andy

Andy

?

Thanks for the replies.
    To the best of my knowledge this is an ex-Czech,black finished M42 which the guy I bought it from oversprayed gloss black on the exterior only and added aluminium oxide at the same time.
    The interior was straight Czech paint.
    I am really interested to hear what you all make of the brown paint and the wear to it,particularly the interior.
    I don't know if the Czechs stripped the sides of the exterior?If so why the top and interior are untouched.
    I wished to 'restore' this as best I could.
    I don't have a 66/59 original liner and strap so after waiting without feedback on the refurbishment/restoration section I have posted here.
    I am grateful for any comments,particularly those which might address what I believe is original late war brown paint.
    I am particularly interested in late war Ckl M42'S and those examples which fall beyond the pale of what collectors and even experts may find worth posting.
    Thanks Frank and Andy,I appreciate your input and I recognize my own inexperience.
    I stand by my monster and await the villagers armed with pitchforks and burning torches!
    It is a pleasure to be able to post on this forum.
    Kateri
    t

Quote by Kateri View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    To the best of my knowledge this is an ex-Czech,black finished M42 which the guy I bought it from oversprayed gloss black on the exterior only and added aluminium oxide at the same time.
    The interior was straight Czech paint.
    I am really interested to hear what you all make of the brown paint and the wear to it,particularly the interior.
    I don't know if the Czechs stripped the sides of the exterior?If so why the top and interior are untouched.
    I wished to 'restore' this as best I could.
    I don't have a 66/59 original liner and strap so after waiting without feedback on the refurbishment/restoration section I have posted here.
    I am grateful for any comments,particularly those which might address what I believe is original late war brown paint.
    I am particularly interested in late war Ckl M42'S and those examples which fall beyond the pale of what collectors and even experts may find worth posting.
    Thanks Frank and Andy,I appreciate your input and I recognize my own inexperience.
    I stand by my monster and await the villagers armed with pitchforks and burning torches!
    It is a pleasure to be able to post on this forum.
    Kateri
    t
    Hello Kateri , the thing with paint stripping is that you will never really know the full story of the paint that lies beneath. It is a very interesting time period , late war helmets but in order to truly be able to study them you need to look at the examples that survived the overpaint in my opinion.

?

Thank you very much Frank,I appreciate the wisdom and experience behind your replies.
    I believe your honesty can be a little bruising at times but it is obviously a quality that is needed and much respected by collectors,even new ones like myself.
    Kind Regards
    Kateri.

Quote by Kateri View Post
    Thank you very much Frank,I appreciate the wisdom and experience behind your replies.
    I believe your honesty can be a little bruising at times but it is obviously a quality that is needed and much respected by collectors,even new ones like myself.
    Kind Regards
    Kateri.
    Hello Kateri , sorry if I sometimes come across as bruising. It is not my intention.
    I know my replies can be very matter of factly.
    It's well intended though.