Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Dak camo helmet

Article about: Hi, I found this helmet on an auction site. what do you think about it. I can already see that the decal is fake. but I'm mostly wondering about the camouflage. I think it looks good but I'm

?

Default Dak camo helmet

Hi, I found this helmet on an auction site. what do you think about it. I can already see that the decal is fake. but I'm mostly wondering about the camouflage. I think it looks good but I'm a little suspicious that it looks so rusty inside the helmet, I don't think it matches the rest of the condition of the helmet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dak camo helmet   Dak camo helmet  

Dak camo helmet   Dak camo helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dak camo helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I'm on my cell phone, but I think the camo stands a good chance. Not sure about all of the split pins

Let's wait for others but I will try to look later tonight on a full screen
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

it looks like a shadow of a luftwaffe eagle under the paint
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dak camo helmet  

MAP
    ?

Finally on my PC. Overall the camo looks OK to me. Still not sure about the paint on the split pins. Looks to be a shade lighter. But maybe my eyes.

I do see the outline of the Luft eagle but this also appears to a shade lighter or having less patina.

Don't want to speculate as it is very hard to tell from these photos.

Hopefully others have a view.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The paint definitely has some age to it, wonder why the inside dome rusted so badly.

?

thanks so much for your thoughts on the helmet. as you say, the pins looks like it's painted a different color. I'm thinking of taking a chance on the helmet as long as it doesn't cost too much

?

I'm also wondering why the inside is so rusty. it could be that it started life as a semi relic, then someone replaced the liner and put new pins and tried to paint them in the same color as the rest of the helmet.

I think the inside may be that rusty cause of:

a. Sweat, saltwater creates more easily rust then non-salty water. Based on the camo the soldier was in a very hot enviroment and i can tell you out of experience that you sweat like a pig under these helmets.

b. Thinner paint, the camo paint may have protected the metal better against the rust, while the thinner factory paint inside deteriorated more easily. (I have the same with one of my helmets, almost no rust on the outside - very rusty inside the dome.

c. The way it was stored - maybe upside down, so that water could collect in the dome, while the outside stayed way more dry and thus less rusty.

anyways, these are just my theories. Personally i like the wear and camo, but better pictures are certainly needed.