Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Das Reich stamp on leather strap

Article about: Hello everyone, I am a new collector in WW2 memorabilia. I know SS helmets can be very expensive and for now I can not afford it. I found this helmet a few days ago and bought it for 150 eur

Default Das Reich stamp on leather strap

Hello everyone,
    I am a new collector in WW2 memorabilia. I know SS helmets can be very expensive and for now I can not afford it. I found this helmet a few days ago and bought it for 150 euro. At the back side it is numbered 2087 or 2037. At the right ear side it has the figures ET68. On the leather there is a stamp which says 68 Karl Hebla?? O.R.? Berlin C2GM?
    There is a large yellow stripe at the back of the helmet.
    On the leather strap there is a stamp of "Das Reich".
    Is there a small possibility it is an original helmet?
    What is the meaning of the yellow stripe?
    In my research I can not find "Das Reich" stamped straps.
    I hope you can help me with advice.
    Kinds regards,
    Naomasa
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Das Reich stamp on leather strap   Das Reich stamp on leather strap  

Das Reich stamp on leather strap   Das Reich stamp on leather strap  

Das Reich stamp on leather strap   Das Reich stamp on leather strap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Das Reich stamp on leather strap
    P
    Many

Hi! Get some good close up clear photos of the decals the experts can help. But what little I see from the liner I do not like!

Sorry to say, but the entire helmet is a reproduction, aged to deceive the ones who don't know enough about these helmets. I hope you can get refunded, at least it wasn't tooo expensive, but 150€ is still 150€ you could've spent on something original..
    Luis

OK. Thanks Luis. That is why I joined: to learn from you all.
    Kind regards,
    Naomasa

Although not an expert, I'm sorry to say that I believe the entire assembly is a ground-up fabrication. I'll provide my analysis below, on a point-by-point basis.

The shell is the 'Chinese' reproduction type, with pinhole vents. The vent holes should be larger, especially in comparison to the raised edge they are stamped through. I cannot comment on the decals, although given they're on a reproduction shell, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

The chinstrap is a reproduction. The reason you have been unable to find Das Reich-marked chinstraps is because they never existed. The only markings on a chinstrap would be the date and manufacturer, or an RB number if post-1943 production. While the marking is in the right place, relative to authentic examples, it is not a stamp that was ever used on period straps.

The liner shows signs of fake ageing, and the ink stamp is not one that I have ever seen on a period example. The only marking, if any, would be the size marking. (In this case, the '68'). Although I cannot be sure, it looks as if someone has scrubbed along the edge of the liner, where it folds over the band, to simulate wear and tear accrued through legitimate use. The drawstring appears to be a bootlace of some kind, although again, it's hard to tell with the photos provided. Below is an example of a period liner, with original drawstring, to compare.

In my humble opinion, this is a piece made from scratch to deceive the unwary. The truth about SS helmets is that they will always be expensive, and will remain out of the reach of the bulk of collectors as prices continue to skyrocket. The low end of the price range for SS lids is in the thousands, not the hundreds. If you're determined to collect German steel helmets, I'd humbly recommend setting your sights a little lower to start with. A single decal Luftwaffe helmet would be a good place to start. Or a non-decal M40 or M42 Heer helmet.
    Once you've spent some time looking at authentic lids and handling them, you'll become more familiar with their construction. What makes a helmet good, and what makes it bad. The green flags and the red flags, so to speak.

Persevere! There is not a single person on this forum who has not bought a fake in their collecting lifetime. Some get lucky, and only get burned for a small amount. Considering the typical prices of SS helmets, even fake ones, I'd say you were one of those lucky ones. As far as your wallet is concerned, it could have been far worse!

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but welcome to the forum! Stick to it, and you'll have your first legit helmet in no time.

Regards, B.B.

I never even noticed the infamous Pin holes... these things are selling all over eBay.

Thanks B.B. for your extensive answer. I will read a lot more about the subject and learn about it.

?

These helmets often come from poland and called „fisheye“ vents. They are all over facebook groups and so on. The site germanhelmetvault helped me a lot check it out.

Greetings,
    Tobi

Yes that one has nothing to do with a real German helmet. Chinese junk really.
    Compare the shell stamps , liner , paint with real helmets.

150 euros is a lot for this , you can buy other authentic WW2 stuff with that. A nice K98 bayonet for example.