Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Dd m35 ns60

Article about: Hey, I just got this helmet from ebay. It's a NS60 with lot number E13. It looks to have been factory repainted not field repainted as the paint is smooth and has runs on the inside. It has

M38
    ?

Thanks for the reply Mike. But where are the split rivet pictures, I don't see any? Rivets were either made of brass or steel, so it is easy to tell which by using a strong magnet. You say they are "crusty" which to me leans more towards steel than brass. I don't suppose they are dated?

Regarding the shell manufacture date, I was under the impression that NS did not start making helmets again after WWI until late 1937. A 1936 dated liner is not impossible in an early NS but less likely. Also, the bends in the liner band would suggest it being a replacement. Just my opinions and observations however, I'm not intending to be super negative. I like any NS M35 helmet and think it is an interesting piece.

Cheers,
    Terry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dd m35 ns60
    P
    Many

Quote by M38 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Mike. But where are the split rivet pictures, I don't see any? Rivets were either made of brass or steel, so it is easy to tell which by using a strong magnet. You say they are "crusty" which to me leans more towards steel than brass. I don't suppose they are dated?

Regarding the shell manufacture date, I was under the impression that NS did not start making helmets again after WWI until late 1937. A 1936 dated liner is not impossible in an early NS but less likely. Also, the bends in the liner band would suggest it being a replacement. Just my opinions and observations however, I'm not intending to be super negative. I like any NS M35 helmet and think it is an interesting piece.

Cheers,
    Terry
    I'm really sorry. I posted the rivet pics in a different forum. Here you go. I'm just going by the Brian Ice book. It says E Series and numbered series lot numbers begin in 1936. The D series starts in 1937.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dd m35 ns60   Dd m35 ns60  

Dd m35 ns60  

The section from the book for those who don't have it. No dates that I can tell on the liner pins unless the are on the side that's against the band and I believe they are steel. Also, just pulling slightly on the chinstrap loop to see the liner band maker mark creates bends in the alum band. The bends aren't excessive around the pin areas where they would be if the liner was replace by someone post war. I don't believe it was ever removed or replaced as the pins appear untouched.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dd m35 ns60  

M38
    ?

Thanks for that Mike but did you read what this actually says? Baer states that NS did not start until late 1937 and (apparently) one indication otherwise is with some NS helmets that have 1936 dated liners. Not really rock solid evidence to me. But again, just opinions here, nothing else. BTW, I have an early NS helmet stamped E1 and marked N.S.66 with a 1937 dated liner, with both decals totally worn off.

Cheers,
    Terry

Quote by M38 View Post
    Thanks for that Mike but did you read what this actually says? Baer states that NS did not start until late 1937 and (apparently) one indication otherwise is with some NS helmets that have 1936 dated liners. Not really rock solid evidence to me. But again, just opinions here, nothing else. BTW, I have an early NS helmet stamped E1 and marked N.S.66 with a 1937 dated liner, with both decals totally worn off.

Cheers,
    Terry
    I'm referring to the line directly under the quote that pretty much says that helmets observed with 1936 dated hardware contradict Baers observation of NS starting production in 1937 and that they actually started in 1936. That or I am just understanding something totally different then you from the same information.

Is it not possible that they were just getting rid of old stock and putting older dated liners in newer produced helmets?

M38
    ?

Hi Mike

I don't think we can be sure either way but if there is anyone who I consider an "expert" on this subject it would be Baer. He has many original records to back him up. I do respect Brian Ice and his work as well (he is a friend) but all he says is "indicating" earlier production. That to me is not really conclusive. Anyway, this is all just supposition and my observations over a lifetime of collecting, but I firmly believe that ET was first, SE second, and Q - NS - EF were all later entries in the manufacturing process.

Yes it is possible to see liner bands with a year earlier date than the shell manufacture. In the case of NS however, I'm assuming the 1937 date is correct, so it seems more logical that NS as a beginning manufacturer would be supplied mostly with the latest manufactured liners to put in their shells. But again, just speculation. It is what I am comfortable with but it's not proven gospel truth. In this particular case, with the bends in the liner band and what appears to be steel rivets instead of brass, along with the 36 date, it makes me think this is a replaced liner. I also think the Strache decal was added later than the tri color,

I've enjoyed this discussion, thanks for your thoughts!

Cheers,
    Terry

The rivets seem to have the same wear and age to me that fits the surrounding area , looks untouched to me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3