Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

DN Q64 M40 with Polish liner.. (Unusual camo?)

Article about: So I purchased a German M40 which the dealer (although didn't know much about the helmet) is a very reputable dealer, all he mentioned was that it was a m40 with a polish named liner, which

Quote by Jimmy907 View Post
    I knew it was Polish but now I know from what model helmet, Thanks for that René!
    Have you ever seen another helmet that wasn't polish that had a Polish liner in it? I was surprised to see this one in this haha
    Naa not me Mate. This one must be a gap filler I guess?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DN Q64 M40 with Polish liner.. (Unusual camo?)
    P
    Many

Makes two of us 😅

Yeah I thought the same, The decal is a bit of a mystery, from the small chips I can see it looks to be okay.
    I noticed a small amount of what looks to be the factory grey paint under the top layer, but I would have thought any reissue would just paint over the decal? Why would it be over the top of the repaint?
    Unless it was painted around, then scratched off after? Again I've tried to get close photos with my phone but I again when I hold it out in the sun its not any paint reactions, it genuinely looks as if at one point there was an attempt to camo the helmet. Post war I would think but then the decal comes into question soo not sure
    Attachment 1557847
    Hi Jimmy,

Yes, the smooth grey underlying paint you see are the original paint. The directive to cease applying decals didn’t come through until 28th August 1943, so depending on the lot number, this one most likely started off with a factory applied single decal which was then painted over later on. Often these were carefully painted around or sometimes complete painted over. See some examples below:
    Show me the decal ! – German Helmet Vault

I believe it to be an all original WW2 German helmet (including all of the paint) that has had a post war liner applied with a cover of wax or varnish. I believe the decal was period applied. Are you able to peak down between the shell and liner to see the liner band date? Can you see a lot number and manufacturer code? The shell reminds me a little of an NS.
    Andy

I would just ship it back to the reputable dealer.

Any more information? As a new collector I would love some more input for future reference. I didn't pay much for this so I wasn't getting my hopes up purely on the "Camo" idea. It was just interesting to see the colour and thought it would be a good topic for chatting. Thanks

Any more information? As a new collector I would love some more input for future reference. I didn't pay much for this so I wasn't getting my hopes up purely on the "Camo" idea. It was just interesting to see the colour and thought it would be a good topic for chatting. Thanks
    Thanks for the information. With the Lot number looking like DN275, this would put it in the range of M40 helmets which had a single decal applied.

Well that's good, So From looking at it the shell is okay, decal possible and camo is just a mix up/reaction to the varnish on the paint?
    Schwerpunkt mentioned to give it back to the dealer which I take as a bad sign.. So I'm at a loss

It's bitsa and it all counts on what ya paid for it

Honestly for what I paid, as long as the shell is good anything else is a bonus..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2